Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mesh purse

Posted by norar_il (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 21:08

Whiting and Davis Bags is what is says in very tiny letters inside the top. The handle is braided metel. It says "soldered mesh" in extremly tiny letters on the other side. There is something else there, but I cannot read it even with the help of the magnifying lense I used to read the other.

The upper edge looks tarnished, but nothing indicates silver and I haven't cleaned it with anything. None of the links are broken. The design on the bottom looks sort of floral, but not really. Counting the handle, it measures about 13 inches long. The clasp has a tiny blue stone, probably glass and I don't know if it shows, but there is engraving all around the solid part the handle is attached to.

It's a pretty little thing and I'm interested in anything you can tell me. I've looked up Whiting and Davis, but most of the purses I can see look nothing like this. Any ideas of age or value? I assume it was an evening bag and there is no sign of it ever being lined.

Filled with coins, it would make a pretty good weapon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesh Bag

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesh purse

Have you looked on this site? There is a bag, 14 rows down, 2nd pic, that looks similar to yours, I think. Your pic is kind of hard to see the details. I would imagine your bag is silver, since it is tarnished.

Here is a link that might be useful: antique mesh bags

o

Whiting and Davis is the best-known metal mesh maker, I think. They've been around since 1876, so your bag could date from before WWI. I think it's great.

I normally think contacting companies is a waste of time, but in this case, I'd give it a shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiting and Davis

o

Ideefixe, I thank you for the Whiting and Davis site. I may contact them and send a photo.

Tasymo, thanks for the site. You found a bag that is close to exactly like mine. The bottom is identical. The top is slightly different -- the engraving isn't the same and the handle is attached differently. They call the blue stone a sapphire -- I wonder if it really is. Maybe the company can tell me.

Thanks again to both of you.

o

Well I'll hope for you that it's worth at least what that one is listed at, which is $450!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mesh Purse

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here