Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelod_gw

McLaggan Furnitre

laurelod
15 years ago

Today I bought a desk that I love. It is oak and has a mark under the drawer "McL 2393."

There are some references (via eBay) that this represents McLaggan Furniture Company.

I dont really care about a value but I am interested in the furniture compay because it is a new one to me. Anyone know anything about the company and the geographic area where they produced furniture? Other than the eBay references there doesn't seem to be any information out there on the company.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)

• calliope
    15 years ago

I have found a great deal of information on McLagan Furniture company, founded in the later part of the 19th century (1886) by George McLagan, in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. It was a firm of some repute and was still manufacturing into the 1930s. I have seen the items listed in the Antiques sections by McL trademark, and am really wondering if this isn't the same firm and the name corrupted? Ontario is right across the Erie Canal from the U.S.of A.

• laurelod
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response ... glad to see it was probably just a typo on the single site I found. Makes sense in terms of location as I am in upstate NY (where the piece was found). Appreciate your time!

• calliope
    15 years ago

To be fair, if it's a typo it's on most of the U.S. sites.....but that happens. I see it in my business all the time where certain names are routinely butchered. LOL. If you do have a McClaggan/McLagan you are very fortunate. From the pics I saw they're lovely pieces of furniture. Valuable, as well.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

It never ceases to amaze me how some really interesting information developes on some of these threads.

• honorgraham_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I also own some of the McLagan furniture that was my great grandparents. I have a beautiful oak dining table, four straight chairs, one arm chair (all still with the original leather seats) and a matching side board with leaded bevelled mirror.
    I am curious as to the value of the set. Any ideas as to where I would enquire?

Thanks for the help!!

• thetwoofus66_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi, i recently aquired a mclaggan dining room set. table, 6 chairs a buffet table and a china cabinent when i bought a rental to renovate. i believe it is from the 3o's. Would anyone know a site where there is a catalogue of this furniture. Tom Campbell how fortunate we are to read some literature from you, thank you.

• skriz55_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I just purchased a small table,25"wideX29" longX30" high. It has a drawer and has a number 8414 on a gold tag as well as written on it in a form of grease pencil. Does anyone know the approximate date of this piece.

• lee676
    11 years ago

> George Mclagan was my grandfather's uncle. He got his journeyman status about 1876. He was the first Mclagan born in Canada and later the company was absorbed by electrohome

My xgf from like 22 years ago worked for Electrohome and told me all about their illustrious past (and faltering present and future - they recently folded after over 100 years in business). She was like a walking history museum for the company.

Electrohome's entry into the furniture business was a complete accident. They made radios and phonographs in the 1920s, which back then were built into wood cabinets which they built themselves. But when sales tanked during the Depression, they had an overcapacity of wood cabinetmaking and not enough people who could afford the electronics that went into them. So they reassigned some of their woodworkers to build furniture instead of radio cabinets, which was soon spun off into a subsidiary called Deilcraft (from their full name, Dominion Electrohome Industries Ltd.). Deilcraft quickly became well-reputed, so much so that the use of Deilcraft cabinetry for Electrohome audio gear and TV sets became a major selling point in later decades. Deilcraft expanded by both internal growth and acquisitions, one of them being Mclagan Furniture. By the mid-1960s, Deilcraft was Canada's largest cabinetmaker and a major producer of consumer and industrial furniture. Other Electrohome divisions made appliances, air conditioning, small motors, musical instruments, and all sorts of other stuff I can't remember.

But things went south in the 1970s when the Japanese companies took over the stereo and television business, and they sold off Deilcraft in the mid-'80s to raise money. I don't know what happened to Deilcraft afterwards, but like their former parent company, they aren't around anymore.

• sawdust_4
    8 years ago

I have a Ser.#5517 flip t op cabinet. Can anybody tell me how to find out more about it ?

• Dione Livingstone
    8 years ago

I have the McL #2392 oak desk given to me from my grandparents.

• Rebecca Bryan
    6 years ago

When I was a little girl my Mom cut off the legs to a George McLagan sideboard for me to use as a dresser. About a month ago, I had my brother fetch the piece from the farmhouse in Saskatchewan for me and I brought it to my home in Edmonton. I took off the legs entirely which was quite a feat, then my boyfriend Doug devised a way to put it back together replacing it with legs of the proper height. We had a stair rail maker cut legs for us as we needed them to be the same thickness as the originals. The sideboard is McL 6210. It was in really rough shape, gouges, missing bottom that we replaced, the mirror is missing silvering, but all of the copper pulls are in tact. I didn't actually realize they were copper until I went to work on cleaning them. Wow they are beautiful and I have not seen anything like them anywhere online. I am using mineral paint to redo the sideboard because there are so many gouges in the wood. Anyway, I was surprised to be able to find the makers mark online and who made this piece.

• dslsmith55
    5 years ago
    Where would I go to post a McLagan ding set for sale?
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Try your local Craig's list. This is a discussion forum, not for sales.

• Sabrina Stephenson
    5 years ago

@dslsmith55 I have one. 5 straight chairs, 1 armchair, table with 2 extensions, hutch and sideboard

• pendurst
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just purchased a McLagan sideboard circa 1920. We believe that my husband’s grandfather worked there in Stratford, until he built his own factory “Chesley Mfg Co.” in Chesley, Ontario. McLagan made high end furniture, so when the depression hit, they struggled for sales. They sold out to what eventually became Electrohome where both our Uncle Irvin Hamel and Uncle (by marriage) Karl Schmidt worked. Karl was a master cabinet maker who left Hitler’s Germany to live in Canada. His father was a WWI POW Commandant, where young Karl learned of Canada when he played baseball with the prisoners.

• A Hamilton
    4 years ago

I have a McLagan swivel top games table/console table which I think is Mahogany. Interested to find out when this might have been made. It is a console table with a top that flips up then swivels to become a games table with a felt lined compartment underneath to store cards, games etc. Would love to know when this might have been made and if it has any value. The picture shows the only identifying mark. No model number or year. Any info greatly appreciated.

• HU-725421480
    4 years ago

I recently purchased what I believe is a McLaggan quarter cut oak curved glass corner china cabinet. Door glass is flat not curved, side glass s curved. Marking on the back is McL 2269. Would be interested in any information on it including date made and value.

• Lynn Berry
    3 years ago

I have a Mclagen sideboard I received from my mother-in-law that belonged to her mother. I would be interested in its age, it seems different from a others I have found. It has carved legs that are like a ball and claw at the bottem but the leg is all one piece right up to the top and it has glass with copper soder in its two front doors. It's also made of quarter cut oak. It's also missing one of it's little brass handles which I would like to replace or refabricate. Thanks for any information

• HU-141420693
    3 years ago

I have a McLagan dining table with 6 chairs I need to sell. The number n the bottom is#1170 so I believe it to be a early piece. Does anyone have an idea how much it may be worth?

• HU-37577415
    3 years ago

I have my parents McLagan cherry dining room set, table with leaf, 4 chairs, a tall glass door cabinet and a long side board. The tag on the bottom says Mc Lagan Meaford Ontario. It would've been purchased new around 1954.

• martinsusan
    3 years ago

I also have my parents' McLagan dining room suite (table w 3 , six chairs, buffet, China cabinet). It was purchased in 1961 in Toronto (I believe). It also has the Meaford Ontario sticker in the buffet drawer.

• John R
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Do you have a pic of the desk? I have one with McL 2388 on the bottom of the drawer. I wonder if it is the same model

• John R
    2 years ago

Dione L - does your desk look like McL2388 that I have?

• Joe Berta
    2 years ago

Took me a bit but I found this before I decided to repurpose this table - not doing that anymore, but it does need a lot of work, so I'm asking:

Strip it and stain it?

Please respond to gjberta@gmail.com

• John R
    2 years ago

Sand with very fine sandpaper and then stain. Depending on the finish you might not need chemical stripper.

• Joe Berta
    2 years ago

Thank you!