Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this? It looks like a miniature water tower

Posted by pilot172m (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 20:29

Does anyone know what this is? It looks like a miniature water tower. It is about 3 ft tall, on 3 legs, has a lid, and the logo "Jamesway" stamped on it. It is metal and the words "use distillate no. 1 furnace oil" is written on the side. I'm trying to figure out how to put a picture on this forum..sorry, I'm new at this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this? It looks like a miniature water tower

Go to photobucket and follow their instructions for storing and sending pictures.....you really NEED to include a pic of this duzzy! I can hardly wait to see what it looks like!

o

Hi pilot172m,

See Posting pics

Before #1 on the instructions, you will need to first open a Photobucket (Free) account and upload your pics there.

There are numerous others places to upload them to also, but I use Photobucket.

Sue

o
water tower pics (Ihope!)

Photobucket

I hope this picture works. Thanks for your help!

o

I'm guessing it's a gravity-feed fuel reservoir for some device that burned "no. 1 furnace oil".
Casey

o

Or perhaps part of a gravity feed milk separator.

o

I agree with Casey--a milk separator wouldn't have the imprint about the fuel on it. Jamesway is a well-known farm equipment manufacturer.

Annie

o

Yep, I've seen the old Jamesway chicken brooders, and I think they're still in business. Is that a threaded spigot on the underside? If it is, it would point even more strongly toward a fuel resevoir. Does it have 'guts' or is it empty inside?

o

Duh....I didn't read that it says to "use distillate #1 furnace oil"...
LOL! Likely NOT a milk separator!!
Linda C

o

There are no "guts", it is a threaded spigot and it has a lid. I was thinking of using it to put flowers in around my landscape. I e-mailed the Jamesway company, but they couldn't help. The answer was that Jamesway sold out in the 60's. So...maybe a fuel reservoir for a chicken brooder? You guys are AWESOME! thanks for all the response.

o

It's a gravity fed furnace oil reservoir. Mine has a glassfilter on the bottom with a spigot and petcock.

o

I hazard a guess that it is a fuel reservoir for a chicken brooder or an incubator. Those used kerosene or #1 fuel oil. It is too small for furnace service. You'd have to refill it too often.

The preferred heat source for an incubator was electricity. However, before 1940, many farms did not have electricity, so designs for kerosene and fuel oil were made. The tricky part was using fuel without harming the chicks (or the operator) by carbon monoxide poisoning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here