Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pilot172m

What is this? It looks like a miniature water tower

pilot172m
15 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? It looks like a miniature water tower. It is about 3 ft tall, on 3 legs, has a lid, and the logo "Jamesway" stamped on it. It is metal and the words "use distillate no. 1 furnace oil" is written on the side. I'm trying to figure out how to put a picture on this forum..sorry, I'm new at this

Comments (11)

• sandra_ferguson
    15 years ago

Go to photobucket and follow their instructions for storing and sending pictures.....you really NEED to include a pic of this duzzy! I can hardly wait to see what it looks like!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi pilot172m,

See Posting pics

Before #1 on the instructions, you will need to first open a Photobucket (Free) account and upload your pics there.

There are numerous others places to upload them to also, but I use Photobucket.

Sue

• pilot172m
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope this picture works. Thanks for your help!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I'm guessing it's a gravity-feed fuel reservoir for some device that burned "no. 1 furnace oil".
    Casey

• lindac
    15 years ago

Or perhaps part of a gravity feed milk separator.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I agree with Casey--a milk separator wouldn't have the imprint about the fuel on it. Jamesway is a well-known farm equipment manufacturer.

Annie

• calliope
    15 years ago

Yep, I've seen the old Jamesway chicken brooders, and I think they're still in business. Is that a threaded spigot on the underside? If it is, it would point even more strongly toward a fuel resevoir. Does it have 'guts' or is it empty inside?

• lindac
    15 years ago

Duh....I didn't read that it says to "use distillate #1 furnace oil"...
    LOL! Likely NOT a milk separator!!
    Linda C

• pilot172m
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are no "guts", it is a threaded spigot and it has a lid. I was thinking of using it to put flowers in around my landscape. I e-mailed the Jamesway company, but they couldn't help. The answer was that Jamesway sold out in the 60's. So...maybe a fuel reservoir for a chicken brooder? You guys are AWESOME! thanks for all the response.

• gregroot_cox_net
    13 years ago

It's a gravity fed furnace oil reservoir. Mine has a glassfilter on the bottom with a spigot and petcock.

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

I hazard a guess that it is a fuel reservoir for a chicken brooder or an incubator. Those used kerosene or #1 fuel oil. It is too small for furnace service. You'd have to refill it too often.

The preferred heat source for an incubator was electricity. However, before 1940, many farms did not have electricity, so designs for kerosene and fuel oil were made. The tricky part was using fuel without harming the chicks (or the operator) by carbon monoxide poisoning.