Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

pair of Victorian portraits abt. 1890, ornate frames 20x30

Lavoie Boho
14 years ago

I found these and am going to sell them. The couple are in late teens and very attractive, fair haired, with sweet, delicate features. Anyone would want to adopt them as "family". What is your estimate as to their financial value? I have an antiques dealer coming next week. I told him I would accept any reasonable offer.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Can't tell a thing without a picture.
    Are these oils? Water color? Photographs? Photo reproductions? Oval frames? wood frames? Plaster?
    Did you really expect a dollar figure with that amount of information?

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, but I do not know the medium, as I am not a proficient professional in appraising antiques. I am absolutely dependant on this forum for advice. The portraits I describe appear to be photographs on canvas, and they are bleeding thru the back of the canvas... now that you ask. Does that help? I have a local dealer who is coming this week to see them, very interested, since the frames are almost in perfect condition. Who knows what the frames are made of, but they are rectangular. Only a pro will know upon inspection. Please try to tolerate novices here. This is what the forums are all about.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Pictures help a lot,
    It is literally impossible to give any sort of estimate of value or identification of any sort without knowing lots more...
    The questions I asked above plus a few more like size style of dress, gold leaf frames? Gesso? carved wood.
    Rectangular and ornate is not a description.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Well, rectangular and ornate means something, so it's descriptive to a degree. As is the year, abt 1890, and ample size, 20x30. That's a start!

quirkpod, if you have any photos but haven't gotten used to uploading online, feel free to click my ID and email me the photos, I'll be glad to post them here for you if you like. I'm very curious to see them! And it would be a shame if you didn't get a fair price for them from your buyer.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Quirk I'd be happy to help as well. Your description sounds beyond interesting :) (I've adopted quite a bit of family through antique pictures myself LOL). Frames can be quite valuable, or worth very little...a photo tells us so much.

Please don't be put off by the grumps here...many of us are actually quite willing to help if you can stand to ignore the heat :oP

• barbm1028_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have two wooden frames i received from my mother-in-law. And i can't seem to find any that resembles them. They belonged to her fathers mother,and they still have the original pictures in them. Can anyone give me any information about them? They are in excellent condition. Need to know if i need to insure them. Anything about them would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

• igloochic
    12 years ago

Wooden frames have probably been made since the cave man phase of the world and include horrifically painted pink ones from the 80s....for any help at all, you MUST include pictures of the items.