Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmkgero1

Vanity Dresser?

pmkgero1
13 years ago

I found this dresser in the trash and brought it home. Can anyone tell me anything about it? How old is it? Should I leave it alone or can I alter it? It seems like a cute little piece, nice size, no mirror with it though. How do I post pictures?

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Go to photobucket and follow the directions.
    Free is the best price!!!

• pmkgero1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, think I figured out the picture thing.

• pmkgero1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, think I figured out the picture thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s809.photobucket.com/albums/zz14/gerorc/dresser/

• lindac
    13 years ago

I think it's very nice as it is....don't be going painting it or removing bits of applied trim.
    I am guessing it's from the 20's....perhaps earlier..art nouveau style....and it possibly could have been made as a desk.
    Get some mineral spirits and a soft cloth and wipe it down and post a few more pics....
    I like it!
    Linda C

• calliope
    13 years ago

I at first thought desk too, because I had one I just got rid of very like it, but after looking at the back of it, from what I can tell by the pictures I'm thinking it is a lady's vanity unless it is missing part of the back. You don't have open, exposed areas in the back of desks as a general rule, and what appears to be open may have at one time been covered by a mirror. The two vertical boards acting as a stop to the top drawer look drilled out as if they may have accommodated a mounted mirror. Dunno, can't tell.

It does look like a large section of veneer is missing from the top of the piece. And because of its irregular shape that's going to be an issue when you consider repairing or covering it. It is a very lightweight piece for its size?

• pmkgero1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree that the back had a mirror at one time. Is missing veneer or has damage on the top surface. The entire piece is easy to move or lift, not very heavy at all. I was guessing a vanity dresser at one time. Amazingly, all of the nobs and pulls look original. I am mainly wondering how old it is and is it really of any value. I'm thinking of using in the kitchen near the door for keys, purse, etc when entering the house.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Those bulbous legs! Mid 1920s "Baronial" or Tudor or Jacobean style.

It's never going to make it into a museum, but those pieces that have survived until now are pretty well-built.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think it would be wonderful in the kitchen if it cleans up well enough. Hopefully the purists won't hate me for suggesting a marble or granite tile on the surface that's missing veneer.

• lindac
    13 years ago

If there really is missing veneer....and you can't repair it....which is unlikely as veneer of all sorts is available in many places, I might think of ti as a bathroom vanity....not with a sink in it but as a vanity.
    Linda C