Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gscc

Stereo Scope Cards

GSCC
10 years ago

I really don't know anything about these and wanted to sell them on ebay. Can anyone help identify their age or anything related to them or even direct me to a website that might help?

I have many of these and a bit more of other types.

I appreciate any help.

It says New York Niagara Falls Photographer Charles Bierstadt

If anyone has any clue of what they may be worth, that would be helpful also.

Comments (3)

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I found this on Wikipedia (much shortened and paraphrased): Charles Bierstadt was a photographer who specialized in stereoscopic views. He was also the brother of Albert Bierstadt, the famous painter. Charles moved his business to Niagara Falls in 1863 where he had great success with his stereoscopic views. He died at Niagara Falls in 1903.

So they are by one of the renowned names in stereoscopic photography.

A lot of their value depends on whether the view is printed onto the card or is a glued-down photograph. The real-photograph cards are significantly more valuable than the printed cards.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Many view cards for steropticans had printed text on the backs of the cards explaining the scene.

My sister has mother's set. This set was freatured by Sears and Roebuck Co. The cards were premiums. The number of cards sent depended on the size of the mail order. Over time, mother's family collected about 200 cards. We have card no.1 that shows Mr. Sears at his desk. Mother's family collected their set between the years of 1900 to about 1912.

• drea111982
    10 years ago

You can get a good idea of what they are worth or what people are paying for them by looking at the ebay sold listings. If you do a search for "stereo scope cards", all categories, click search. Then on the left hand of the screen scroll down until you see "sold listings" and check that box. You will see results listing how much people are paying for items verses what people list items for. They range in price from $0.99 on up. If you search for "stereo scope cards Niagara" you will get 18 sold listings ranging from $1.55-$74.99(set of 8 cards). Hope this helps.