Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese carved bone ...WHAT?

Posted by cityapart (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 19:48

I have had this piece for many years but I could never found out if the opening on top is part of the design or it has a function. Does anyone know? The piece is small, 3 1/2"X1 3/4"X1 3/4". The opening is 2 1/8"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese carved bone ...WHAT?

Netsuke toggle?

o

does the hole go all the way through the piece?

o

Think it's a business card holder.

Here is a link that might be useful: card holder

o

Japanese business cards are the same standard size as those used in America. The two and a half inch slot would not accomodate a business card. They are pretty ritualisitically exchanged in Japan and not displayed nor stored like that. One carries them in a special leather folio and places them in a leather box upon receipt to accomodate the etiquette expected.

o

It's probably functional. If there is no hole on the bottom, it can't have been a netsuke toggle.

The trick is going to be finding out what went into that hole. It could have been fitted over the end of a wooden scabbard to hold the two pieces together.

Any other "end caps"?

o

Perhaps it's not Japanese....maybe Aleut? Haida?...I see the birds and think perhaps Egyptian? African?

o

The piece does not have any other opening. A friend of mine who lived in Japan and knows the culture very well replied that, in his opinion, the piece is not Japanese.

I checked in Google and Bing for Aleut and Haida carved objects but the iconography is very different. Same with African art or Egyptian.

o

Try searching suing words like fossil ivory and walrus tusk and sacred ibis

o

In the last picture, it may be my imagination, but I seem to see a seam around the flat end of the piece, as if it can be removed.

o

What you see are seams that cannot be open. The item is made in three pieces glued together.

o

I do think it's oriental. Cranes have a lot of symbolism involved in Chinese, Korean and Japanese culture.

o

Perhaps a quickly done test piece made by an applicant for apprenticeship or something similar. Meant to be something along the lines of a plant container or fish home in an aquarium?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here