Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cup/Saucer Need More Info

Posted by annie1971 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 19:39

Here's another cup and saucer that I know is very old, but beyond that I know very little. It's extremely light weight and translucent. There's a stamped or incised mark on the cup and a smaller one on the saucer. I hope someone can make it out enough to help me with the set's origin. The mark looks like a two-fingered glove or rabbit ears, if I photographed it right. Any opinions would be a help.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cup/Saucer Need More Info

Can't make out the mark at all.....can't even see it. But the shape and style of decoration looks German about 1890 to 1910...or Bavarian or Austrian...
Linda C

o

Yes, Linda, that would make sense. I have been thinking that they look Bavarian/Austrian during that time period. One of my grandmother's sisters was a governess with a family that spent time in Germany before WWI. (someday I'll share her post cards). She subsequently joined my grandmother here in America. But I was wondering if it could be an American piece from the other side of the family. I do wish I could pinpoint that mark.
Annie

o

do a rubbing or tracing of it and post it here....

o

Here's a rubbing of the mark on the cup. There is a smaller version of the same mark on the rim of the saucer back. I know it's not great, but maybe it will help you to see the outline on the previous photo of the cup back.
Photobucket

o

.....hmmmm.......??

o

What.....?? A crappy rubbing? I am trying!

o

Maybe not bad....just never saw any sort of mark like that....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here