Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chittenden eastman square

Posted by invent (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 19:39

Hi. A few weeks ago I happened to find a very old Chittenden Eastman hutch on the porch of a old house. Since I knew the people I asked where they got it. Her grandmother and maybe great grandmother had it, and she is in her 70's now, so I knew it was old. They said I could have it sinced it was in need of alot of work and that the next day they were taking it to the dumps! Of course it took it.
I am having a hard time finding out just how old it is and if its even worth much. I dont think its ever been refinished at all. I found a stamp underneath the top that says "Chittenden Eastman" and "Square" something. It has old type locks on all the doors and drawers and I have all the hardware. The glass leaded glass doors are in perfect shape just very dirty. I wanted to take pictures of it before I started fixing it.
Does anyone have any iformation on this? Heres some pictures.
Thank you very much, Kev!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chittenden eastman square

I see no pictures!

o

Oh, with a story behind your find like that, I'd love to see photos too! Found a bit of fascinating reading about the company history (pioneers and settlers in covered wagons bought from them in Burlington, IA in the company's earliest days).

Here's a bit of history that gives a clue as to when the ownership name changed that would bear the stamp your hutch has: "An Ohio bookkeeper named Edward P. Eastman, who had joined the company in 1877 at the age of 17, became H.W. Chittenden's new business partner in January 1883. Chittenden & Eastman was thus born, and in 1899 the firm was officially incorporated under the name Chittenden & Eastman Company, which it would retain through and beyond the next century."

Guess one could logically conclude it's no older than 1899 based on incorporation date, unless they used the stamp prior to official incorporation, in which case it could go back to 1883 when Eastman became a partner.

o

CANT GET PICTURES TO LOAD! EMAIL ME AT thelangoliers@yahoo.com IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES, THANKS!

o

I sent you an email. If you'd like to email the photos to me I'd be glad to post them here for you!

o

OK, here are those photos. Hard to believe this was headed to a landfill. I bet this will be a labor of love and you'll be well rewarded when it's all cleaned up. Were it me, I'd be filled with anticipation!

You have a great find there, invent! ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

chittenden eastman

o

Very nice!
Looks like 1920 style to me.
And you likely have veneer on the top and drawers....be very careful with that sand paper.
But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.
What are those 2 dark squares on top? Looks like there was a top piece?
Linda C

o

But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.

He hasn't touched it yet, per his first post that's in 'as found' condition. I still think it's a darn good find and worth every effort to restore.

o

Yeah....I'd take it home from the dump!!
Might even spend $50 at a shop!

o

Thanks for post the pictures for me! I don't know if it had a top piece or not..... I need to ask them. Could only imagine the history of it! Thanks again, Kev!

o

You're very welcome Kev! I'm curious to know more about this piece and the company. When the article I linked to above mentioned pioneers picked up furniture in their covered wagons, I was intrigued! I have a lead for you. I found an appraisal of a CE bedroom set. The appraiser gives tidbits about the company and mentions this:
They manufactured the Square Brand product from about 1890 to the early 1970s. In 1972 the firm moved to a new facility on Division just west of Roosevelt. The firm later became Eastman House.

According to the 1915 History of Des Moines County Iowa and Its People, Chittenden & Eastman annually issued "a catalogue of about seven hundred pages, ten by fourteen inches, in which are shown the most complete and best selling lines of goods that can possibly be brought together by men of long experience in manufacturing and buying, with the advantage of ample capital and an enormous outlet for goods." In preparing to leave Burlington, the company donated its collection of catalogs to the library in order to preserve this important piece of Burlington�s manufacturing history.

So, I checked the Burlington Libarary's web site (see "Furniture Search Request", left side). They will do a manual search of the CE catalogs for $5 and if found, send you a copy of the original CE catalog page. I say go for it! ;D

o

Thank you so much Moonshadow for the help and information! Your awesome! I will check into and if I find anything I will let you know. Thanks again and have a wonderful day, Kev!

o

You're very welcome ;)
Keep in touch if you learn anything or have "after" photos?!

o

I inheritated a Two piece bedroom set. It's a 1942 Dresser and round mirror make-up type dresser with stool. Can anyone help me out to find out what it is worth for insurance purposes?

Thanks
Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here