Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
invent_gw

chittenden eastman square

invent
14 years ago

Hi. A few weeks ago I happened to find a very old Chittenden Eastman hutch on the porch of a old house. Since I knew the people I asked where they got it. Her grandmother and maybe great grandmother had it, and she is in her 70's now, so I knew it was old. They said I could have it sinced it was in need of alot of work and that the next day they were taking it to the dumps! Of course it took it.

I am having a hard time finding out just how old it is and if its even worth much. I dont think its ever been refinished at all. I found a stamp underneath the top that says "Chittenden Eastman" and "Square" something. It has old type locks on all the doors and drawers and I have all the hardware. The glass leaded glass doors are in perfect shape just very dirty. I wanted to take pictures of it before I started fixing it.

Does anyone have any iformation on this? Heres some pictures.

Thank you very much, Kev!

Comments (17)

• lindac
    14 years ago

I see no pictures!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Oh, with a story behind your find like that, I'd love to see photos too! Found a bit of fascinating reading about the company history (pioneers and settlers in covered wagons bought from them in Burlington, IA in the company's earliest days).

Here's a bit of history that gives a clue as to when the ownership name changed that would bear the stamp your hutch has: "An Ohio bookkeeper named Edward P. Eastman, who had joined the company in 1877 at the age of 17, became H.W. Chittenden's new business partner in January 1883. Chittenden & Eastman was thus born, and in 1899 the firm was officially incorporated under the name Chittenden & Eastman Company, which it would retain through and beyond the next century."

Guess one could logically conclude it's no older than 1899 based on incorporation date, unless they used the stamp prior to official incorporation, in which case it could go back to 1883 when Eastman became a partner.

• invent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CANT GET PICTURES TO LOAD! EMAIL ME AT thelangoliers@yahoo.com IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES, THANKS!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

I sent you an email. If you'd like to email the photos to me I'd be glad to post them here for you!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Very nice!
    Looks like 1920 style to me.
    And you likely have veneer on the top and drawers....be very careful with that sand paper.
    But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.
    What are those 2 dark squares on top? Looks like there was a top piece?
    Linda C

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

But as soon as you started sanding you removed a great portion of the antique value.

He hasn't touched it yet, per his first post that's in 'as found' condition. I still think it's a darn good find and worth every effort to restore.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yeah....I'd take it home from the dump!!
    Might even spend $50 at a shop!

• invent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for post the pictures for me! I don't know if it had a top piece or not..... I need to ask them. Could only imagine the history of it! Thanks again, Kev!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

You're very welcome Kev! I'm curious to know more about this piece and the company. When the article I linked to above mentioned pioneers picked up furniture in their covered wagons, I was intrigued! I have a lead for you. I found an appraisal of a CE bedroom set. The appraiser gives tidbits about the company and mentions this:
    They manufactured the Square Brand product from about 1890 to the early 1970s. In 1972 the firm moved to a new facility on Division just west of Roosevelt. The firm later became Eastman House.

According to the 1915 History of Des Moines County Iowa and Its People, Chittenden & Eastman annually issued "a catalogue of about seven hundred pages, ten by fourteen inches, in which are shown the most complete and best selling lines of goods that can possibly be brought together by men of long experience in manufacturing and buying, with the advantage of ample capital and an enormous outlet for goods." In preparing to leave Burlington, the company donated its collection of catalogs to the library in order to preserve this important piece of Burlington�s manufacturing history.

So, I checked the Burlington Libarary's web site (see "Furniture Search Request", left side). They will do a manual search of the CE catalogs for $5 and if found, send you a copy of the original CE catalog page. I say go for it! ;D

• invent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much Moonshadow for the help and information! Your awesome! I will check into and if I find anything I will let you know. Thanks again and have a wonderful day, Kev!

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

You're very welcome ;)
    Keep in touch if you learn anything or have "after" photos?!

• lorax21_gra_midco_net
    13 years ago

I inheritated a Two piece bedroom set. It's a 1942 Dresser and round mirror make-up type dresser with stool. Can anyone help me out to find out what it is worth for insurance purposes?

Thanks
    Jen

• PRO
    Black Squirrel
    8 years ago

Hello. I would like to share a resource with you regarding the Chittenden & Eastman Square Brand line of products. http://eastmanhousemattress.com/mattress_all/site/product-catalog/FlipBook.html#p=1 - Here is their full catalog from 1937-1938. Perhaps this online digital catalog can give you some information that is helpful to you. I also own a piece of Chittenden and Eastman Furniture and I found this link a fantastic resource. I found it on the Eastman House Mattress website @ www.eastmanhousemattress.com . The link to the Historic Product Catalog is at the very bottom of the page. Cheers.

• luckey_carol
    7 years ago

I have a chittenden child's rocker (original finish) that belonged to my grandfather. He was born in 1885. The label on the bottom of the chair says "Chittenden" only so it was probably made before Eastman became a partner. We also have a dresser, mirror, and chest of drawers labeled Cittenden and Eastman. There were matching twin beds at one time. This set was used by my father and uncle in late 1920's through 1930's. My sister and I also shared this set. I refinished the dresser and mirror as a 4H project in the 1960's. The attached frame for the "swinging" mirror was gone by then. My daughter refinished the chest of drawers for 4-H in early 1980's. All three of my grand children used these items in the nursery; 15 month old still does. All of these pieces were purchased from Chittenden in Burlington, Iowa, as all my grandparents lived nearby.

• conniegnly
    7 years ago

I have a Chittenden and Eastman walnut buffet with leaded glass doors and mirrored backsplash, that belonged to my husbands grandmother. It has all the hardware, except for 2 knobs. It needs repair as a chair fell into the glass and bent the lead. It is all still together just bent. It also needs restored. Can anyone give an idea of the best way to restore it without losing too much value? Actually, it probably has very little value as some family member at one time or another squared off the curly cues on the backsplash so it would fit into a rectangle cut out in a wall. Any ideas?

• HU-14539862041
    5 years ago

I need help finding info and value of this 1930 style Maroon chittenden & eastman sofa. my mother purchased it used and is needing to sell it. Any help is much appreciated.