Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any idea what these medals may be from?

Posted by blindpete (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 19:19

Hiyas, My friend found these in his dads old things. No history behind them, just what ya see. any help in figuring this out and what they could be, thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=283573824991368&set=a.283573761658041.88655.100000162574825&type=1&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: view picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any idea what these medals may be from?

o

I've seen reference many times that the symbol was around long before Hitler, attributed to Native Americans and earlier cultures. Here is an article and a follow up discussion about it. (Just an aside, there is an old government building that predates Hitler in my home county. It has floor tiles integrating this symbol. It's a well known area home to Native American tribes back in the day, so very much part of area history. A relative who survived Nazi Germany saw that floor and nearly had a fit (understandable), till I was able to explain.

Here is a history of Lookout Mtn, Co. That one looks like a souvenir to me. That article says LM was a tourist attraction as early as 1890. Perhaps tying into the Native American symbolism? But it doesn't look quite that old (to me anyway).

Perhaps the two were obtained together, souvenirs from a trip out West? Could or could not be pre-WWII/Hitler since the article linked above references Jackie Kennedy wearing this symbol for a Native American event, clearly long after Hitler.

o

They are medallions from Lookout mountain or near by in the Indian motif known as the "whirling log" pattern.
Likely charms for a bracelet. Are they gold or brass?
Linda C

o

The one on the left looks like a locket or watch fob from the 1890-1920 or so era. The swastika was a good luck symbol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here