Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
der5997

Help in dating candlestick

der5997
10 years ago

Hi, I'm researching a "primitive antique" candlestick for our Community Museum in Nova Scotia. We have no provenance other than the high probability that it was used (look at the condition in the photo - well used!) in the period before electric lighting was widely available. That, in the Eastern Shore area from which this was donated, was from 1923. It looks to be non-commercial judging by the lathing and finish. The column attaches to the base by a press-fit peg at its lower end the exact diameter of a hole in the base.
Any help in dating this would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments (7)

• egbar
    10 years ago

could we see the top inside and also a picture of the bottom? thanks!

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

egbar, thanks for your interest. I'm posting the only two other photos I've taken thus far. They partly answer your request (I haven't taken one of the bottom of the base, if you were meaning that by "bottom".) I won't be into the museum now for a while; but I hope these are useful to you. first, the inside top

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

....and now a top view of the base (not on its own, but the original file was large, so you may be able to zoom)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Any middling RenFaire lathe operator could have made that ... at any time from antiquity on. And if you make a springpole lathe, you only need a few chisels to do the turnings.

There's nothing distinctive about the style either - basic turning and a drill for the hole.

Is it the right size to be picked up and carried?

• egbar
    10 years ago

do I see dim forms that look like light colored letters or numbers in that first photo, just a little above the fullest part of the widening of that spindle from the bottom... can you identify the kind of wood it is? And is that wood, or was it, a locally found wood?

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

egbar: Thanks. I see what you mean about the "letters or numbers". I've gone back to the original image file and cropped out that part of the column. Under that magnification they look like this (see below)
    To my eye, they have been made by scratches in the finish - which I take to be a stain and lightly applied varnish. Deliberate markings or random scratches? A mix of both? Not helpful in identifying a maker, I think.
    As to the wood; I'm not up on wood types but if local then birch or possibly cherry with maple a possibility.

If you'd like to try a greater magnification, have a look at the "Here is a link that might be useful" link and click on the image - then use the magnify tool to zoom in quite close. That site is the Association of Nova Scotia Museum's NovaMuse site - our collection is part of their offerings.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1997.009.024

• der5997
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lazygardens: Thanks - much as I feared, nothing very distinctive. Yes indeed, very portable, as you can see from the "CSI" gauge which is marked in centimeters. The base is just 2 3/4 inches diameter and the whole thing only 6 inches high.