Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twolips_gw

What fun! Could you look at my buffet.

twolips
15 years ago

What a fun site. I have enjoyed it so much. I log on almost every morning and just sit and read with my coffee. Anyways, I won this buffet at an auction. I'll tell what I paid later. I don't plan to get rid of it so value doesn't matter. However, it would be nice to know what someone with experience thinks.

I usually hang out in the garden forums and have never posted pictures, so here goes, hope it works!

{{gwi:1391484}}

{{gwi:1391485}}

{{gwi:1391486}}

{{gwi:1391487}}

Comments (6)

• lindac
    15 years ago

It's a very typical 1930's buffet.... Apears to be one of the better made ones, applied decorations, veneer insets tear drop pulls and all.
    Linda c

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

This, and many types of furniture is very hard to evaluate. IMO, the piece is probably worth about what you paid for it. Sometime ago I purchased a very nice secretary at a church bazaar for $40. It was black. After spending a couple of weeks restoring the finish, I uncovered a beautiful magahony chip and dale secretary. The piece is probably from the 40s maybe worth $1200 to $1400. Has a beautiful patina. It adorns a nice spot in our dining room.
    Moral of the story, do a little restoration of the piece and enjoy it.

• twolips
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know nothing about refinishing furniture! I would be too affraid of ruining it. Anyways, I certainly hope its worth at LEAST what I paid for it.
    I went to an aution, an antique place was going out of business. The aution was on Mothers Day, there was hardly any people there. I got the piece for a whopping $35.00!
    WooooHooooo!
    Nice to know what time period it came from though.
    Thank you so much.

• lindac
    15 years ago

$35!!!? LOL!!!
    you did just fine!!
    Dont' refinish it....wipe it off with a little mineral spirits and wax it with a paste wax and call it good.
    Thief!!! LOL!
    Linda C

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

That is a great buy !!

Florence

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

There was a line of furniture restorative products bt Homer Fornby. Perhaps there still is. These items are very expensive and there are much cheaper versions on the market.

Basically, the product restores the finish without losing the patina. It is applied with 2/0 steel wool dipped in the liquid in a circular action which has the action of redistributing the finish in an even manner. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually pretty easy. Once the finish is restored I put at least 2 or 3 hand rubbed coats of tung oil.

I purchase an ACE brand restorer in gallon cans from my local ACE hardware. I use Old Masters tung oil varnish. The results are astonding.

Now, I'm a couple of steps up from an amature but the results are so much more appealing than strpping which is not a good option if the piece is vaniered. Stripping often reduces the value of pieces especially if they are true antiques. I have an 1835 solid cherry gate leg table that has not the surface touched in any way since it was made.