Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

old piano

cjacker
20 years ago

Hello, I have an old piano given to me by my aunto about 30 years ago. She passed away about 15 years ago. My 3 girls all took piano lessons on it and now it really just sits. Everyone I have talked to seems to think she had it quite some time before giving it to me. I would really like to find out how old it is, if it is worth anything, and if it would devalue it if I refinished it. On the front of the open keyboard cover it says Stodard with Chicago under Stodard. I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me or if you could tell me where to find it. Thank you so much

Comments (10)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Forget the finish: it's the innards and sound that can be valuable.

Upright or grand? What wood? Can you find a serial number inside on the thing the strings attach to?

And are the keys ivory covered (shows grain like wood, with fine arched rays)?

Check the spelling: is it Stodart? They can be anything from ordinary to extraordinary, depending on the model.

Stodart Piano Company
    Factory Location: New York, New York
    Serial Number Dates: 1870 - 1931
    History: The Stodart Piano Company was established in 1819, manufacturing Grands, Studios and Upright pianos for well over a century. (note: there seems to have been a European and a separate American company, using the name of an early pianomaker)

• cjacker
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you for responding, lazygardens (love your name).
    Upright
    Oak
    The keys are not ivory
    The spelling - stodard - is the correct spelling
    I could e-mail you a picture if you didn't mind - I don't know how to post it on the forum.
    Thank you, Jeanie

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

OK ... Stodard was possibly the name of the store that sold it ... check the innards for some other nameplate. Stodard was the name of a sheet music publisher, I think, and they might have had pianos with their name.

Old pianos are often more valuable for the wood than as a piano, but only a musician or piano tuner can play it and tell you how it sounds. Some pianos were made by major manufactiurers and sold under store-brand names, others were truly cheap mass-market junk.

Cleaning and polishing it would not hurt - the value of a piano is more in the sound than the wood, and a carefully refinished good sounding one is more valuable than a mahogany junker with the original finish.

I can't do much with a picture, except give you the general age, based on cabinet style (they changed along with furniture styles). But ig you have a uncluttered well-lit view of the piano, and one of any ornamental detail, I might be able to get a vague age for you.

Email me and I'll reply so you can attach something. GW doesn't let you attach things to the first email.

• Hugh_Moon
    11 years ago

I think I might have the same piano as you, and I'm also interested in learning more about it. My eventual goal is to sell mine, but I'd like to have some information on it first. If you'd be willing to share what you learn with me, I'd really appreciate it :).

• fritzheimer
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if anyone who has/had a Stodard ever got the information that they needed. I'm in the same boat. I have an old Stodard (correct spelling)and it has a beautiful sound. I've been trying to get information on this piano for years.

Happy Christmas!

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

The Stodart piano company went out of business in 1931, therefore your piano is at least that old or more.

According to the link posted here, the company used variants of its name in differing time periods as differing owners operated the firm. This can be a clue for bracketing the age of your instrument.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stodart Piano Company

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

A tune on an old neglected Stodard piano. Turn on your speakers.

Here is a link that might be useful: tune

• wade4835
    10 years ago

On the same note, I bought a Stodart baby grand piano and am wondering how old it is. The serial number is 35098. It is in really nice condition, other than needing new strings. Anything that you might know about this Piano would be greatly appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

If it needs new strings, it may need new hammers, pinblock and the bridges removed so the soundboard can be recrowned. Then you're talking 12K in work. Maybe just clean the strings and dope the block,reshape the hammers, adjust the action, have oversize pins put in and live with the soundboard, then it's a matter of 2K or less
    Casey