Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on this box?

Posted by pamghatten (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 18:17

Can anyone tell me anything about this box? It sat next to my Grandmother's chair in her living room, she kept pen, paper, needle, thread, etc. in it. Now it sits next to my chair and has pen, paper, chocolate (LOL!), nail file, etc.

Just have always been curious about it. I think the outside is covered with leather? Inside looks like wallpaper. Unfortunately, I don't have the key.

9-27-2010 011

9-27-2010 012

9-27-2010 013

9-27-2010 014

9-27-2010 015

9-27-2010 017

9-27-2010 018

9-27-2010 019

9-27-2010 020

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on this box?

About the only thing that I can add is that it seems old. I'd guess ca 1920. It was nothing secial in its day being an ordinary utility, general purpose storage box. The box did have finishing features to dress it up a bit. The interior was fully papered. The corner joints are covered therefore, I can not tell if these are dove-tail or plain butt joints. The lid hinges are ordinary hinges with no effort to conceal or make flush. The hasp is a clue to age. The handle appears to be a leather strap fastened with simple hardware. The handle fasteners also lend a clue to age.

The outside surfaces are covered with a thin material of which I can not determine by these photos; It could be leather or a simulated leather. The inside and outside coverings do elevate this box aboce a plain box.

On the bottom, there are 4 metal buttons incorported into the corner pieces. Thesea act as feet and to reduce wear on the bottom, another feature that upgrades it above a plain box.

o

I have or had...I gave it to my daughter who have it to her daughter, a similar box and the household I bought it from said it was a dolls trunk. Used by little girls to keep doll clothes in.
Linda C

o

Thank you both ...

Linda, spot on! I googled doll trunk and came up with many that are similar ... and another one I just have to have. Reminds me that I also have a couple of old dolls I know nothing about either. I'll have to research those next.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here