Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old opera glasses and dried out leather and adhesive

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 18:00

I have an old pair of opera glasses and the dried out and craked leather on one side has come apart from the brass. I have tried regluing in the past with no luck. So tonight I took it off and started to polish the brass but there is remaining adhesive from 100 years ago still on the brass. I was wondering if I could use Goo Gone to remove the old glue. Now I just have to get the leather off the other side which is still stuck on pretty good. Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old opera glasses and dried out leather and adhesive

I am sure Goo-Gone won't hurt the brass.
Linda C

o

thanks Linda

o

Look around on the woodworking forum about dissolving that old glue - I seem to remember that just water or denatured alcohol or something more innocuous does it. I'm not a fan of goo gone because it seems to have an oily residue that I can never get rid of.

Karin L

o

Leave it alone.
There's nothing you can do and why fix it.
They're old! No one will ever know that, if you tamper with them.
Don't even polish it.
Your opera glasses are worth more if you sell them in original condition.
I've had antiques for many years-long enough to that tampering with them is 90% unprofitable.

o

De-Solv-It should work well. It's 100% organic, biodegradable and works quickly. There are two strengths, contractors' strength and regular. Use a very small amount and rub with your fingers, I'll be you'll get them cleaned up in no time. The regular strength should do it.

o

I'm thinking that if the object is actually the stated age, that goo-gone is not going to get rid of the glue residue, because the glue is likely to be hide glue. So water would dissolve that.
I think that the ambroid/duco cement types of adhesives were just coming into existence at that time, and they would be dissolved with lacquer thinner.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here