Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uniquevase

Unique italian vase

uniquevase
9 years ago

Hi, I have a very unique looking Italian vase. It has handmade pottery fruit and leaves added to the outside so it protrudes out from the vase. Took it to an antique dealer and they had never seen one before. We also could not find this or the markings on the bottom in our antique pottery books. Measures 9 inches tall. 1933 or 1935 is written along the edge of the base. There are other markings on the bottom. Please let me know if you'd like to see additional pictures. If anyone has seen this work before and knows a little bit about it please tell me about it. It is a very mysterious and interesting piece to me.

Thank you very much!

Comments (7)

• voila
    9 years ago

It seems to be a Majolica vase. Does it have markings on the bottom? Do you have any idea of age? I may be wrong, so look up Majolica vase with raised fruit online. You can also read information about Majolica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Majolica

• voila
    9 years ago

When I asked about the age, I wondered if it has been in your family for a long time, or was a recent acquisition. The 1935 may also be a pattern number instead of the year. Here is some more information for you on Majolica. If the 1935 mark is truly representing the year it was made, it is probably a reproduction or "art" pottery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

You might also look into Capodimonte pottery, which is more 3D (as yours is) in the decoration than Majolica tends to be IME.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

We saw many new vases, like yours, while touring Italy recently.

Here is one currently on Ebay. The prices in Italy were a bit higher, but nothing extravagantly higher. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay vase

• uniquevase
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for everyone's input. I will be checking all of these out! I have included a photo of the bottom just incase anyone recognizes the markings.

Thanks again!!!!!!

• marilaffi
    9 years ago

It looks like Capodimonte to me. The fruits are very much in the Capodimonte color and style.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Majolica (Maiolica) is a style of pottery that has been made continuously since the Renaissance, in either tin glaze or white earthenware. I don't know that it is fair to call this a "reproduction", or accurate, unless the obvious intent was to copy an earlier design, which, in my humble estimation, this is not trying to do.

Since the 193X date seems to be written in grease pencil, it's hard to say if it was done at the factory, as a mold mark and not a date, or perhaps noted by grandma to record when grandpa gave it to her on their 5th anniversary.

I am not an expert, but glaze color and vase shape is often the first determination of age, then the bottom markings. But the problem, as seen in the eBay example linked by newhomebuilder (below, and did not sell at $9.00+$9.00shh) shows that this type of vase has been made for decades. The condition, no chipped leaves, size and quality of the craftsmanship, might be more of interest to the collector, than the actual age.

Capodimonte is porcelain, which I don't believe this is, and Capodimonte is done in a more refined manner with several firings, Majolica has a country feel to the painting which is usually applied in one sitting. The size of the fruit has nothing to do with it being one or the other.

In my opinion, this vase was made in the 1930s, the delicacy and finesse of the leaves, and the color of the clay, the shape of the vase, though the close up distorts the shape, all say 1930s to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maiolica

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 1:39