Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Suggestion? Descriptive Titles

Posted by justme4now (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 17:54

Would it be asking too much for someone to post a 'stickie' asking posters to put a little 'something' in their title about the item they're asking about?

For instance, Instead of a title that says: "Can you identify this?" .. How about something like: "Can you identify this glass tumbler?"

Anything would help!

Maybe I'm being too picky but I tend to just skip the "What is this?" posts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Suggestion? Descriptive Titles

Yeah, me too.
But it seems that the responsibility is incumbent on the poster....not the reader.
If someone posts an unteresting post....just scroll on by.

o

Maybe it's the new folks who don't use descriptive titles and in return don't get as many 'looks' at their post as they would if everyone knew 'what' they were posting about in the first place?

A 'stickie' might help before they post?

I don't know .. maybe it's all ado about nothing!

Just an idea.

o

Not only that, the majority of posters give as little information as possible. Even though a picture is worth a thousand words, dimensions are a must if there are no objects nearby with which to guage scale. History on the object doesn't hurt, either as in family heirloom? Marks? General location?

o

Agreed. You'd think it would be common sense, but maybe not! :)

o

My favorite is,"what is this and what's it worth?" Also, most are loath to tell where they got an item and what was paid for the item. The "statue" burial urn for ashes comes to mind.

o

There is one on this page right now that I refuse to even look at (which has actually had lots of responses).

The title?
identify

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here