Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miz_m

End tables on CL: Antique or Vintage?

Miz_M
11 years ago

Hi, all, I found these tables on CL, and am curious to know how old they are. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, to see if they're still available, and what height they are. I plan to use them in our master bedroom for night tables.

The asking price is $100. for the pair, which I think is very fair.

Thank you for any info!

Comments (29)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I can't tell the age from the photograph, but it looks like someone did an excellent job of bookmatching the veneer, especially on the left-hand table (harder to tell with the right-hand). That's the mark of a quality piece,

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response, Chibimimi! I'm really falling for them, and we still haven't heard from the seller, so I'm afraid they're not going to be available.

We recently purchased a gorgeous Duncan Phyfe style china cabinet off of CL, e-mailed the seller within minutes of the ad going on, and several people had already shown interest in it! Luckily, the sellers decided on us. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

• lindac
    11 years ago

From what I can see....they look like very VERY nice antique French, ormolu trimmed, book matched veneer stands.
    But perhaps that's what the maker intended?
    But still....$100 for the pair?? Even if they are new....run don't walk!!!
    Such a deal!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Lindac! If they'll just contact me, I'll run as fast as I can. :-D

This is the china cabinet we got 2 weeks ago on CL, for $150. I can't believe what's been on my local CL lately, I find something I want every day!

Am I correct that it's Duncan Phyfe style? Made around the '40s? I used Restore A Finish on it (and wax), and am so pleased with the results. It's nearly perfect, except for one flaw on the bottom. We're going to use it as a bookcase in our office. :-)

(Sorry the pic is so huge, I don't know how to resize).

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I vote semi-antique or vintage, made in Italy in a French style. The sabots and drops aren't as well integrated to my eye as they would be on earlier antiques. Nonetheless very nice pieces, and a bargain.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Palimpsest! Great news: meeting with the seller Wednesday morning, so should be bringing them home then. :-)

They're a bit taller than my current night tables, at 31 inches, but I think they'll be fine. She said the tops are not marble, but look good. And she doesn't know the age.

I'm excited! And really appreciate the input here.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No tables for me........we were setting up a meeting with the seller, and she said the price was for EACH table. She edited her post on CL to reflect this. I feel a bit misled, but I think she just didn't realize how the original ad sounded.

I'm sad to be losing out on these, but will keep looking!

Thanks for the input. :-)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

They are still worth it, at least in the pictures, but if they are out of budget, they are out of budget.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree, and wish they weren't over our budget. I don't think I'll find any I like as much!

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

(I'll be the little devil sitting on your shoulder :-) )
    In the long run, which will you miss more, the extra $100 or the tables?

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ouch, Colleenoz, you ask the hard questions! :-D

Me: the tables
    My fiance: the $100.

We're at a standstill here! :-D

• lindac
    11 years ago

Tell your fiance to buy one for you for Christmas....and you buy the other one for him.
    Really they are a huge deal!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love that idea, Lindac! :-D

• nyboy
    11 years ago

Sometimes when falling in love with something over my budget, I ask if I can make payments.Nothing to lose by asking.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, nyboy......based on the seller's e-mails, I don't think she'll go for that. But I like the idea, thanks for the suggestion! (My fianc� is from NY, too, now in Tx). :-)

• bspofford
    11 years ago

Those tables are drop dead gorgeous!!!

I understand the budget thing, but dang, those are gorgeous...

Early Christmas? Early birthday?

Barbara

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbara, I agree!

Ok, I think I should give all of you my fiance's e-mail address.....you can work on him for me. :-D

I don't think she's sold them yet. Sigh.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

If you are fussy that way ask her if she will take $199 for the pair, then tell the fiance that "she came down enough to make them reasonable."

If you are not fussy about white lies, just buy them and lie about it.
    It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.
    Not that you should have to ask permission to start with lol.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

If the ad is still running, I would contact her and ask if she'd accept 125.00 for the pair. if she isn't ready to sell at that price, ask her to keep your contact info because you really are interested but not at $200.00.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, cearbhail and maddiele.......I think I will contact her again. I really appreciate the responses here, it bolsters my argument that these tables are a wonderful find. :-)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Dump the fiance....buy the tables!! If he's going to be such a stoic of $100 you don't want him anyway!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda! LOL!

This has been a fun thread. :-D

• nyboy
    11 years ago

where do you live , I can,t believe these tables did not sell. I want to visit!!!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nyboy, we're in Fort Worth......fiance moved here from Long Island.

She hasn't taken the ad down, just saw it again.

My local CL has some amazing buys!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tables

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

Add a mirror on top and these would be called "chiffoniers". These are lovely chest-of-drawers.

Maybe these are not chest-of-drawers and I am fooled about their size.

I see a knob on the top board. Does this slide out?

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

Sounds like the BF needs a talking to, even at $100. each its a good deal.

• bspofford
    11 years ago

So, did you get the tables? I'm hoping so.....

Barbara

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, everyone, no, didn't get them. I hope she'll re-list, I won't pass them up again! Thanks for posting. :-)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Call....tell her you are interested....tell her if they are still for sale, that you want them.