Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying possible Hepplewhite stand

Posted by LeCat (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 16:46

Hello, we were shopping in an antique store in New Hampshire this week and came across this beautiful stand...the woman in the shop said it was circa 1810 and had it labelled as a Hepplewhite.
We are new to this and are not sure how to authenticate this piece and if it is truly a hepplewhite and circa 1810.
Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying possible Hepplewhite stand

pic 2

o

pic 3 underside

o

close up construction...
thanks in advanced for any help!
Lee and Cathy

o

I will guarantee it was not made by Hepplewhite. But that tapered leg is often referred to as Hepplewhite style.
It's a nice little stand but your pictures are not clear enough to give a real good idea about construction...are the legs fastened to the apron with a mortise and tenon joint?
It very well could date to 1810....or easily 60 or 70 years later. Those little pine tables were ubiquitous in the area....looks like a stained stand that someone artfully painted blue and rubbed to look like worn milk paint.
It's cute...I like it....but don't pay an arm and a leg for it...
Linda C

o

I am assuming she meant in the Hepplewhite 'style'. That style started declining in popularity around 1810, and if it isn't a repro, would date the stand to about that era.

o

Thanks, yeah we figured it was just the style...but definitely mortise and tenon joint, we can see where the pieces pieces fit together, but kinda hard to capture by photo...check this one out...its evident in a few of the corners

o

Nice......cute.....either early or made by someone who used the old methods....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here