Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new2this_gw

Are these antique chairs ?

new2this
9 years ago

Hi lady's and gents I'm new to the antique game and would love some feedback on my recent purchase. I didn't purchase these as antiques or anything but after I bought them from a yard sale I got to thinking the chairs might be antiques since they have hand carved designs on the back rests. I purchased the table and chairs as a set but I don't believe the chairs go with the table since the designs don't match each other. The table is branded as "Henredon fine furniture" and the chairs have no marks that I can find. Thanks for any help.

Comments (31)

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chair pics will be added now...

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hand carved back rest

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back rest

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back of arm chair

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chair back

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hand carved details

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

underneath the bottom of the chair under the lining. maybe its been reupholstered at some point ???

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I don't think these are antique, although they could be nice vintage pieces. The proportions and lack of other detail argue against their being extremely old.

Could you give us a shot of the construction where the leg meets the seat?

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bottom mainly has slot head screws and appear old but the screws holding the seats on from the bottom are new and shiny looking and don't match the patina of the screws in the braces. Glue is also used. Some have Philips head screws that dont match any other screws, maybe have been repaired at some point.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shiny screw don't match patina of other screws

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some chairs on the braces have more holes than the same matching chair does and look out of place and some screws are shiny and others have an old patina to them. Maybe its been repaired or re seated ? Why do they appear hand made and hand carved if they are not old ?

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'm sure they're old, maybe not "antique" old but old. The nice details are probably because they are good quality--the Henredon table was probably pretty expensive new, and the chairs were probably in the same upscale price range.

The have a sort of mid-century feel somehow? I dunno. It's a great set I think.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback I really appreciate it. Any and all feedback is great. Thanks for taking your time to help me date these :)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I think that since they are bleached mahogany with an unconventional fruitwood stain, this narrows it down; they could have only gotten finished like that in the 50's - 60's.
    I really like them, if that makes a difference.
    Casey

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for my novice lack of attention to details... lol

This post was edited by new2this on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 13:08

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

Henredon makes very nice furniture. I bought another brand dining room table that looks a lot like that about 1970. The fruit woods and pecan wood look were very popular as was the antiqued painted look for dining room sets, especially china cupboards.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info SheilaJoyce so since you bought it around 1970 its safe to say it was probably made in the late 1960s and purchased around 1970 ? Is there a way to date my Henredon dining set ? The table has the numbers"3220" on the bottom but when I research anything on Henredon with those numbers its comes up as a small end table and I can't find any dining tables with the numbers"3220" on it. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of the chairs have been repaired very poorly as in they just put screws in it and its visible from the outside of the chairs. 4 chairs look great but 2 look repaired poorly :( either way I got the set from people uneducated about Henredon since I paid next to nothing and they delivered it too . :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Lucky you. That is a lovely set. Have nothing of value to add to the discussion, just wanted to compliment you on making a wonderful purchase and at a yard sale no less! Woohoo!

:)

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the compliment :) I almost want to tell you all what Ipaid but I don't want it to seem like I'm bragging or tooting my own horn but will gladly tell if anyone wants to know :)

• Fori
    9 years ago

You do see a lot of that style table from the 60s and 70s. The chairs make it special though--they are really unusual and much more appealing than the chairs you'd usually see with similar table.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Fori. I personally like the chairs more than the table. But the table is nice too though. Where would I get a date and value on the set ?

• calliope
    9 years ago

The chairs are Henredon. I have found a match on your chairs, in some auction results. However, the set has a different table, represented as Henredon as well. Here's the link. I do see that current Henredon furniture is sold as seperates, and one can buy the tables and chairs separately, so perhaps the owners of your pieces did just that. My guess, if in good condition would have been around a thousand, so I hit it pretty spot on with the price this set got at auction. Here's a link for you

Here is a link that might be useful: auction of Henredon dining furniture.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Calliope that was very awesome information. Too bad the site didn't have a date for the table and chairs, I'd really like to know the date of them. So now that I seen that similar set sell for $1,400 I'll tell you guys how much I paid for the table and chairs and to have it all delivered. I paid $30 for the table and chairs and $10 for them to deliver it so $40 total

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

new2this what a great deal! That is the cost of a take out Chipotle dinner for a family of four.

• new2this
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I basically paid a tank of gas for the set. I got lucky :)

• Keri Austin
    8 years ago

I have this same dining set. The chairs are identical to yours and my table says Henredon 3221. It is square on the ends instead of round. Your chairs definitely go with your table. It was my grandparents dining table.

• babbs50
    8 years ago

A friend of mine has this set and she purchased it in 1956.

• PRO
    Carey Long
    8 years ago

Henderson uses master carvers to hand carve their furniture giving it the appearance of being even older than it is. It is fine quality and very expensive when purchased new. You did a great job finding a wonderful bargain!

• Rubiyah Abou Khadra
    3 years ago

I just picked up this same exact table today and didn't know about the legs underneath, how did you get the legs unfolded? I'm glad I came across this post because I may not had never discovered the support legs. Thank you!