Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal Vase (Bronze/Brass, Copper) 1960's? Looking for info.

Posted by edrixx (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 16:28

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased this piece (see flickr link below) and thought I might share it with the community. I have been unsuccessful gathering info/details on the piece/period and would love any information or direction to help with my search. I was told that it is from the 1960's...but I'm not 100% on that. There is no signature/label that I have been able to locate. I am really interested in the history of this type of art/vase/pottery as well as searching for similar pieces.

Flickr

I would love to hear your thoughts on this piece and any information that you might be able to share on the style, time period, etc.

Thanks!

Noah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal Vase (Bronze/Brass, Copper) 1960's? Looking for info.

You say pottery? Is it or patinated bronze as it appears?
Where did you get it? Why do you think it's from the 60's? It has no "date" obvious to me....
I think it's very nice....but have no idea when or where itw as made.
Linda C

o
RE: Metal Vase (Bronze/Brass, Copper) 1960's? Looking for info.

Its hard to identify the materials at this distance, but the top rings may be spun brass, polished, and then coated with laquer.

The shape of this vase is interesting. It has the same profile as a toy top. Remember those toys from years ago? These tops were spun by a cord. The cord was wound on the top starting at the bottom and ending at the maximum diameter of the bulge. The top was thrown forceably toward the floor and the cord quickly pulled back to set the top spinning at a high rate of speed. This required much practice and an aquired skill for a successful launch. School boys held contests to see who could best launch a top inside a small target circle. Another game was for everyone to launch their tops at the same time. The last top to remain unright was the winner.

A bad throw could sling a top through a window or smash something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here