Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darenka

The one that got away.....

darenka
14 years ago

Some of you may have read about my desk trauma. I'm trying to find an affordable desk, older (no MDF), and gasp... maybe even a potential antique someday. (We had a disasterous move that left us short on money, and even shorter on household goods.) Anyway, through inattention, I let one get away, and now I need some cheering up. Could you: a) trash this miserable desk and the awful chairs. Please note that it could have all been mine for a mere 1 euro dollar--about $1.55 as the US dollar has taken a beating this week too. b) tell me the story of the one that got away from you. I'm sure we've all missed something we really wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: German desk

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

It's a typo. They really wanted 1,000 Euros.

Feel better?

• lindac
    14 years ago

Well the desk doesn't appear to have any drawers....
    And the upholstery is really icky green....
    *sigh*....

I remember so many things....right now a wonderful pine step back cupboard....covered with paint, but with the original turned pulls and door closers....going for $25....as my hand was raising...my DH (God rest his soul) leaned over and said "how are you going to get it home...."
    I blinked and it was gone!!
    The cupboard that is in the spot that one would have gone, cost $350....30 years ago....so it cost him!!!
    Then there was the Paul Storr castor set...but some of the bottles were not original...and the Bateman ladle...it was going for over my top bid of $35 ( I was young, dumb and afraid to spend a buck!)
    BUT....I have a house full of stuff that didn't get away...
    I am using as my computer table a walnut drop leaf walnut table, all hand made, hand turned legs....just a wee bit of Sheraton influence....cost me $1.75....no paint....needed a quick clean up and a coat of finish....and it needs another now.
    Keep looking...it'll be there!
    Linda C

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Mine didn't get away either, I had bought 6 Queen Anne chairs somebody painted an ugly green. Seats were horsehair & wire If I remember right. Well, those wide spread front legs proved deadly for me & I moved them around the garage about a doz. times & yet I managed to trip ,knock into them,someone else moved them & that foot was sticking out. Finally I told GF I was sick of them & didn't look like I was ever going to get them stripped. She said her sis had been looking for some. I either gave them to her or sold them for the $12 I had paid. Her sis stripped them & took 1 in to store to get the "right upholstery" & found out they were worth a lot of money. I told her to tell her sis to enjoy them, they had caused me a world of hurt & if I had gotten them so I could use them I probably would have broken a hip on them. I like to be able to use & enjoy things I get & redo.

• darenka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Egads, who do they think they are anyway, charging 1,000 euros for a desk with yukky green chairs that would have had to been reuphostered immediately. And I think it was oak--don't they know oak is passe? And the way it was designed, would have been a trip hazard and I could have broken a leg...or a hip. It's lucky that I'm too clever to have bid on such a terrible thing!

Thanks, I feel much better. You folks are good at this. For some reason, in the catagory of misery loves company, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has lost out on something. And there will be space available when I find my walnut table in the 1-12 euro range. I'm actually all about using things in different ways. In the US I have 3 china cabinets--two of them have been turned into bookcases by cutting new shelves out of wood. For some reason, I hadn't even thought of a table because I was so stuck on having drawers. Maybe I can find a small dresser that will fit near/under the table and voila, I've got drawers. I'm off to search for that desk/table/something beautiful and cheap.....

• rjinga
    14 years ago

that big ole clunky, chunky thing? and the arms on that chair look like edward scissor hands, I'd have nightmares that it might come alive and wrap those weird, twisted turny things around me and kill me in my sleep. You are lucky that that big old thing went elsewhere!!! HA, jokes on them.