Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English costume jewelry ID assistance?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 16:06

Can y'all recommend a good resource for identifying vintage English costume jewelry? My mom just mailed me some earrings and I'm curious about age. They appear to have a full set of marks (enough for me to figure out where they're from and what they're made of) and all I can figure out from the web is that I should be able to figure out everything from the marks.

Soooooooo...I think I need a book or something. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Or, forget the marks--when did earrings go from screwbacks to clippy thingummies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
hmmmm

I think I have a date (thanks Birmingham assay office!) so I'm looking for resources for information on mid 1960s jewelry. Thanks again!

o
RE: English costume jewelry ID assistance?

If they are marked....and presumably are sterling, the y re not "costume jewelry".
What do you want to know?
Pictures help too.
Linda c

o

I think they're one step up from costume jewelry perhaps. Not a really big step.

I'd like to identify the manufacturer whose mark is B.A.Ld (with the "d" riding high). It's 9 kt gold--something I've never realized was used. I can try to get a picture if you think it'd help, but I don't think I could get a clear shot of the mark.

o

Perhaps there is some info here...

Here is a link that might be useful: british goldsmiths...

o

Thanks Linda--I couldn't find anything there.

I'm not familiar with jewelry identification and I'm not sure it's even possible. It's not Tiffany, though! :)

o

That bad, uh??
Lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here