Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

What do you think....early McCoy?

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

Went to Brimfield, Mass for the antique shows this past saturday and found this along with a few other things. I am thinking it's early McCoy.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

sure looks like it could be...but there were lots and lots of Zanesville potteries with a similar look.
    I gather there is no mark? and that you can't find it in a listing of McCoy pieces?
    Linda c

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alas, no marks at all!

• calliope
    13 years ago

McCoy really cranked out a lot of different patterns, but I'm not familiar with this one and I used to work at McCoy in Roseville. The early ones usually had a more muted finish, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. I have just never seen this particular pattern and I've seem many. There are many McCoy books at the local library, but it would take hours to search them with no pattern name and I can't even say I can identify that particular flower. It just looks a little coarse for a McCoy, but who knows. Flip it over and tell me how the bottom is finished off where it touches the table. Is it smooth or rough?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• lindac
    13 years ago

Hmm...looks a little liek Weller...but not fine enough.
    Whatever it is it's art pottery from the midwest dating about 1910 to 1940
    How's that for a cop out! ? LOL!

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, I did see a piece of weller on ebay with a very similar style of the vase itself. I am going to have to go back into ebay and look at all 1400 pieces of weller for sale again!

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just found this auction ebay and it has a similar look.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay weller vase

• lindac
    13 years ago

Actually I think it is weller....however not so sure about the ebay vase...as it hasn't a glazed bottom.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Weller bedford

• calliope
    13 years ago

I have Weller pieces with unglazed bottoms. Weller ware is usually more sought-after than McCoy and more expensive, so if your vase is Weller, Java, be happy. It's not unusual for potteries to use the old molds and blanks from defunct potteries and calling the Clewell vase a Weller is sort of a stretch because they may vary in finish or firing techniques from the original pieces and would of course be made in a later timeframe than the originals. A few McCoy pieces are being run off now in limited numbers even though the pottery is defunct but they are authorised repros signed by the McCoys themselves.

The reason I asked you to flip over the article in question is I know how McCoy finished off the bottoms on first quality ware because that was my job there, lol. What I saw further convinces me the piece is probably not McCoy.