Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnab_gw

How can I tell if my chaise lounge is an antique?

TnaB
12 years ago

Hi, there.

This past winter I purchased a chaise that I was told was an antique. I liked it whether or not it was, so if it turns out not to be, that's fine by me.

But I am curious and would appreciate any help figuring out if it is and if so what style it is and about when it was made. I really know nothing about antiques other than the fact that I like looking at them. :-)

Any info would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1391016}}

Comments (21)

• Mikk
    12 years ago

Close up photos would be helpful. Legs, undersides, fabric tacking, any markings... etc.

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, will do. I'll try to get those done ASAP.

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, in looking underneath it in order to take photos I found a modern "made in Indonesia" sticker, so that answers the antique question. :-)

Sorry to have wasted your time.

• karinl
    12 years ago

Pretty! I'd like it either way too :-)

Karin L

• annie1971
    12 years ago

It's never a waste of time to enlighten others on the traps and pitfalls of purchasing from unscrupulous people. If you bought it from a dealer, you should voice your opinion. The good thing is you like the piece and it doesn't have to be an antique to fit nicely in your decor.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I agree with the others-pretty and never a waste of time to ask! Not being any sort of expert at all, I learn so much here from the questions of others.

One note (hope you don't mind), but rather than chaise lounge, the correct term is chaise longue (long chair). The style of yours has often been called a fainting couch as well or a recamier sofa after the David painting of Mme. Recamier (can you tell I majored in French and minored in Art History? lol).

No matter what, have fun and enjoy your new furniture! Leaning back with a box of chocolates and a great romantic movie would be perfect!

• annie1971
    12 years ago

TnaB: There you go! You have a longue and a place to land when next you get the vapors! Have fun with it.
    Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

That chaise is so very stereo typical of a renaissance style piece tat if it had been a real antique it would have sold for several thousands of dollars. I hope you didn't pay "old price" for a cheap repro. It is what it is....and if you like it, great....but it's not worth a lot. If it was sold as an antique I would be very angry!
    Linda C

• karinl
    12 years ago

It actually wouldn't be a bad thing to still post photos of the underside etc. We do see antique ones often enough that it might be helpful to people to see what non-antique looks like.

Karin L

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for your replies. I bought this from a private person who I believe honestly thought it was an antique, based on what the person they originally purchased it from told them. As I said, I'm really happy with the piece either way, and I didn't pay a fortune for it, so it's okay by me.

I'd never heard of a "chaise longue". Always good to learn something new. Should they all be referred to as longues, or does that just refer to the style of my chaise? Thanks for the info.

And here are a few detail photos, as suggested, in case those are helpful to anyone.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's also known as a "recamier"
    Casey

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Casey. That's also a new term on me.

I tried to post these additional photos last night, but it told me I couldn't post another follow-up.

Close up of upper portion of the seat
    http://imprints.zenfolio.com/img/v19/p899551769-3.jpg

The inside/underneath of one of the front legs
    http://imprints.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p668443651.jpg

• lindac
    12 years ago

Cyn424 gave a good account of other terws for the piece above.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think it's a nice one. There are some pretty bad reproductions out there but this one is pretty and doesn't look low end. It doesn't have pink stripes, either, which is a nice plus!

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did see that. I was mostly curious if chaise "lounge" was never a correct term or if it was only incorrect for my piece. Before this thread, I'd never heard of recamier either, although I had heard of fainting couches.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

lindac, I missed it the first time, oops.
    Casey

• lindac
    12 years ago

The word Lounge...is a mispronunciation of the chaise longue....
    Lounge has Scottish roots meaning lie full length....while the longue "chair" is from the French.
    Your piece is not really a chaise longue....which is more of a chair with an extension, but a true Recalmier

Here is a link that might be useful: Chaise Longue

• TnaB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to just now be getting back to this, but I wanted to be sure and thank you all for the information. I learned a lot.

• This PumpGuy
    2 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? My boss gave it to me. He said it was made in the 1860s

If anyone can help, here is my email.

Hectorjoshua45@gmail.com

Thanks!

• Drew Hardy
    last year
    last modified: last year

You can get advice from experts. i have interest in collect antiques furrniture from old Russian empire. I heard about one place where will sell antique furniture Furnishing your premises with beautiful antiques will bring a little history to your business image and may even spark up a topic of conversation between customers.

• lindac92
    last year

Your piece...v.ariously called a settee or a fainting couch appears to possibly date from the 1860's....more likely the 1870's. appears to have some Eastlake influence in thes tyle.