Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique picture - need help

Posted by newpowers (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 15:33

Hi, I recently spotted a pair of pictures (or technically prints of photographs) in an antique store, and I could not find any markings or any other identifying information on them.

I absolutely love them, but they have quite the hefty price, or else I would have bought them on the spot. I was wondering what kind of estimated worth they are, or really any information regarding their age, etc. Am I correct in suspecting they are recoloured black and white pictures? The colours seem artificial.

The other picture is the same style but a different girl and background, with a similar frame (the only difference being that the gold flourishes on the frame are placed slightly different). Hopefully someone knows more about these things than I do, even guesses at their age or origin will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique picture - need help

Can't say much without a lot closer look at the work. From what I see it looks like a girl in costume posing for a photograph.....and enlarged and placed in a new frame made to look like an old one.
But it's hard to tell for sure what it is, but that style dress was popular way before cameras, and women wearing a dress that drags on the ground would be inside in a formal setting.
I believe it's a posed photo.
Linda C

o
RE: Antique picture - need help

It's definitely a studio shot, but for what purpose, I am not sure. In composition it reminds me a lot of postcards of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

When mail was delivered more than once a day, you could send out a postcard in the morning and get an answer by the evening post. So there are a jillion of them out there.

I give a few people their initial every year as a gift and each gets the same style. Last year I gave post cards with their initial on them and I looked at literally thousands of antique tinted postcards on ebay to find the correct initials in an entire set that matched. Mine happened to have couples in "medieval" dress posed with a giant letter of the alphabet.

Anyway, it looks like one of those postcards. Now, whether it is a photo contemporary to the time that is a larger format version of the post card, or a studio shot of a regional actress in a role contemporary to the period, or a modern scanned image of the same is hard to tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here