Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Need help identifying tea/coffee set

Posted by FBODYWS6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 15:17

I am trying to get some help identifying the maker/value of a coffee or tea set I purchased at an estate sale several years ago. It has initials on the bottom of each piece that look like HJ? It also has impressions of the numbers "831/1" on most pieces and "831 0" on a few. It looks like it may be Victorian or French. It is brown and gold painted and it has service for 6. The tea pot has two different scenes. One on the front and one on the back. I have been researching this on the internet but have not found anything that looks like this.

I would like to know any or all of the following that someone may have info on:

Origin (eg: British, German, American made)
Age (time period)
I would like to know if it is a coffee set or tea set as well

Please see pictures that I uploaded to Photobucket in the links below.

Thanks in advance.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Need help identifying tea/coffee set

I may be totally out in left field with this answer, but I believe that teapots are, generally, short and squat - whereas coffeepots are taller and not so stout.

I await to see what the more knowledgable folks have to say about this question.

Heck, I'll probably even learn something new!

RE: Need help identifying tea/coffee set

I believe it's a Sevres wannabe....a repro. It's not hand painted and just a little too gaudy for the real thing. There are companies that specialize in making repros of various fine porcelains. No one with much knowledge would be fooled but sitting in a glassed in china cabinet it could pass.
It likely had a paper label as well as the mark you see on the bottom




Here is a link that might be useful: The real thing

RE: Need help identifying tea/coffee set

Being taller, is it maybe a chocolate pot????

RE: Need help identifying tea/coffee set

It's a coffee pot, chocolate pots don't include a creamer and sugar bowl....and the cups are taller and straighter, and often have a hole in the lid for a stirrer.

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate set

RE: Need help identifying tea/coffee set

Yes, of course. I did not notice the sugar and creamer. Oh, Linda, that chocolate pot set you found is gorgeous!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here