Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teak table finished

Posted by pamghatten (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 14:45

If you remember, I asked about how to clean up my teak kitchen table. Everyone had all kinds of ideas, and I seem to have ended up using almost ALL of them! LOL!

The table was disgustingly dirty ... I started with turpentine, and that would have very slowly taken off the 50+ years of crud .. I then used a wood soap and a very fine steel wool, which took the crud off much quicker. Then went back to turpentine.

I then had my neighbor look at it, he's a wood turner and does a lot with wood ... he informed me that the surface was a veneer, and was happy to see that I have not taken off any wodd, just a lot of gunk. He brought over a sander and lightly sanded to top. He said the ring left by my sister was too deep into the wood and we wouldn't get it completely out.

I finished off my applying 2 coats of Teak Oil, and it's just a gorgeous table now! Thanks for all your help!

Before pictures:

IMG_0810

IMG_0812

After photos:

IMG_0878

IMG_0879

Here you can see the ring:
IMG_0880

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teak table finished

Nice! Keep your sister away from that beautiful table (after a quick gloating of course). The ring isn't terrible and just doesn't show up since the table is overall just plain pretty.

Maybe you will come do mine now!?

o

Wow! Just lovely!!! I can't even see the ring! Enjoy it!
Linda C

o

off topic - but is that floor Marmoleum?

o

In previous pictures it wasn't readily apparent that it was a veneer... Be-a-u-tiful job! Appreciate the follow-up and looks like you've got years of enjoyment ahead! Now all you need is a placemat and coaster clearly labelled "sis".

What type of teak oil did you use?

You gotta be pleased. Looks wonderful!

o

Thanks everyone ...

fori .. I posted before and after photo's on Facebook so she would see what I've done ... no comment from sis! LOL! And no, I am next finishing a quilt I started years ago. All I need to do is the edge and I can put it on my bed. I'm on a roll --- finishing projects that have been waiting for years.

Thanks Linda ... at a certain angle you can barely see the ring.

deke - yes, the floor is Marmoleum .. I put it in my kitchen and 2 bathrooms a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it.

Mikk -- Sis doesn't come out much and there are always coasters and placemats at hand. I used Watco Teak Oil, only teak oil I found in my little town.

o

(Another Marmoleum fan here.)

Poor sis. We love her anyway. We're just teasing.

o

Very, very nice!! Well done :)

o

Glad that then (Watco teak oil). Nice to work with. Very lovely job! You should be proud of yourself!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here