Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Information needed on DH's 'acquisition'

Posted by nanny2a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 14:15

DH loves to collect old things. This is something he recently acquired, and I'd love to know more information about it. There was a very difficult to read typewritten note with the necklace, relating to Hudson Bay Crosstrail beads, but the type is so faint that it is too difficult to interpret. Can anyone here tell me more about this piece?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Information needed on DH's 'acquisition'

Is the pendant silver? Do the red beads have a white core? Can you see what they are strung on?
Those French cross beads were mid 1800's and in the northern parts of the US. It looks Indian made to me ( as in Native American Indian...or Canadian). I don't know enough about who in that area might have done silver work...Tinglit, Ojibwa, Calispell....no idea who might have done silver work like that. But I'll bet a little research will give you some good hints!
Linda C

o

Yes, the pendant is silver, and the beads do have a white core. They seem to be strung on some sort of thin rawhide or leathery line. I just don't know anything about any of this stuff, and don't really know where to research it.

o

I googled "Hudson Bay Cross trail beads" and got a bunch of hits. Do the same, and read up.

Here is a link that might be useful: TRADE BEADS OF THE FUR TRADE?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here