Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Style, Age, Value?

Posted by gdbird (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:11

I don't have a clue as to the style of this chair. I believe it dates in the 40's - 50's. Anyone help, including possible value?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Style, Age, Value?

It's just a mid century chair with a saber leg. Not antique not collectable. Worth what you can get for used furniture....$40 if you are lucky.

o

I don't completely agree on the value. People in certain markets (Like the Northeast or the West Coast) are much more interested in Midcentury furniture than other styles right now. If it can be attributed to certain makers, it could increase it's value somewhat.

$40 won't even buy a run of the mill Heywood Wakefield chair in my market.

o
Here's what I mean:

Here are two chairs of unknown provenance. They are part of a pair which increases retail value quite a bit. On the low end we have this chair, circa 1960s at a Retail antique price of $825: (this was the lowest price I could find, but keep in mind this is Retail, and a Pair.
8506_1340074917_6

Here is a nicer chair, better shape, nicer upholstery, older. Still no maker. Again part of a pair, and Retail antique but $2475 for the single:
_DSC9182

I don't want to over inflate your expectations. As a private seller of a single chair your price would be quite a bit less.

What kind of isolated back water can I come to and get a chair like this for $40? I will rent a U Haul.

o

Your 50s/60s side chair if in good shape would be worth around $175. and up here in New England, in a shop selling mid century furniture.

o

There has been a renewed interest in mid-century ranch architecture here, and along with that goes a concurrent interest in mid-century furniture and places like ebay have been seeing a boom in mid-century decorations for several years now.

It is collectable, it's coming in to its own. the value will vary geographically with the style's popularity. But a clean, well-preserved chair like this in a popular mid-century style would or should fetch three figures here and I live in podunk.

o

Mid century modern is making a good enough come back for a furniture maker to start making it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: New mid century modern furniture

o

MCM is certainly hot in the Denver area. And I love that chair. My guess is that at the least it would go for $200-300 here.
Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here