Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID Antique Chinese Jackets

Posted by cameronalbert (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 13:54

Recently went through my grandmother's closet after she passed away and found some beautiful Chinese silk jackets. They are from, at least, the late 1800s or early 1900s. Everything is hand stiched, hand embroidered, etc.

Photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Cameron.Albert/Jackets?authkey=Gv1sRgCKjh0ZikgKm3Ug#

She had stories about how she'd worn it to a party before and people had stopped her, demanding to know where she'd gotten such a robe. She was a baby in China and travled to China extensively.

I am very sure that these are authentic but I am just wondering if anyone else knows what they might be worth or where they might be from. We have considered donating these to a Chinese or Textile museum if they would want them. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you everybody.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID Antique Chinese Jackets

I've linked to a group who might help. Google around, you can probably find other experts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Textile Museum Associates of Southern California

o

Very beautiful....sorry I don't know any more than that they are wonderful!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pictures of jackets

o

Those are lovely, but the condition of the fabric and certain details of the embroidery lead me to suspect they're significantly more recent -- maybe 1940's to as recent as the 1960's even.

I have an old Chinese robe that my father's great aunt brought back from China in the 1920's. Family lore has it as being much older, but I understand robes were made in the old style (for tourists, but beautifully handmade) well beyond their periods of historical authenticity. I've done some research into it (hoping for a treasure), but the value seems to be more sentimental than monetary.

Front of Robe
Back of Robe

o

The cream one with the tie collar is not a Chinese style, it's a local version of a European style. Find out when that neckline and tie front was popular and you have it dated. Beautifully embroidered piece, looks like Suzy Wong would have worn it.

The blue jacket is typical of a Chinese woman's jacket - those made for the tourist trade tend to have fully embroidered sleeve bands instead of plain fronts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here