Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
empress_gw

Pls help identify ceramic planter 2 chicks in egg

empress
12 years ago

I have the cute little planter in the pics which I would like to sell in an etsy store I am setting up. I don't know anything about it, though, and have had no luck in my research. Since it has a number hand lettered onto the bottom in gold, I'm hoping someone can identify the maker or timeframe or anything helpful about this. I will appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

Size: just under 3-1/2" tall by 5-1/4" wide by 3-1/4" front to back, with opening in back for plant or Oasis for cut flowers.

The two chicks were created separate from the egg and attached, but are shaped to fit exactly. The egg is robin's egg blue with a bit of aqua, with thin cracks painted around the front opening.

Anyone recognize this?

Valerie

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U3I9l9MhI2Kb5LYqx9Bwrg?feat=directlink

Comments (11)

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm... Guess I don't know how to post a photo. Going to find out how in FAQs somewhere.

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, there are three pics, so I guess I will have to do three posts...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty little planter

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bottom of planter with number hand lettered in gold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottom of planter

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I apologize for saying the number on the bottom was in gold. I was remembering another piece. The lettering is done is a darker shade of the egg's blue.

Here's a view from behind of the little pocket where a plant would go.

Here is a link that might be useful: back of planter--from above

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Are you sure this is a planter? There are no drain holes.

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maybe planter was not the correct term, but I'm not sure what to call the little container that would have held the Oasis foam with cut flowers stuck in it. It looks to me like the little figurines you receive a small ivy plant that people pick up at the florist or gift shop in a hospital, say for when you have a baby. However, I'm wondering if this was made by a recognizable pottery or china maker since the common containers would probably not have a number hand lettered on each one.

• lindac
    12 years ago

There is a whole genre of those things from a florist...seems to me that the 50's and earlier was prime time for such things. I remember having a baby carriagew ith an ivy given to me when one of my children was born...and a bunny for Easter. They used to show up regularly at auctions and garage sales....haven't seen one in ages. They never had a drainage hole so the plant didn't last too long...but it was a cute gift.
    Yours looks like that sort of thing....I am a bit puzzled by the chicks being separate though. What does it look like without the chicks?
    I would put the time frame between 1940 and perhaps 1965.
    Linda C

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Linda, thanks for taking the time to respond.

The chicks are permanently attached, but I believe in the original creation of this planter, they were created as separate pieces of pottery then attached. I can see the separation of each of the chicks from the egg all the way around each chick, and the chick on the right even has a rough finished edge in the back, which makes me think they were even painted before they were attached, but it definitely seems was intended to be one finished piece. Perhaps they couldn't get the detail they wanted if it was all created in one piece of pottery. I'll try to get a picture or two to show what I see. The chicks are permanent, and I don't believe they were ever meant to be removed or removable.

I'm curious how you determine the time frame. The style definitely evoked 50's and 60's to me, but is there some detail or feature that made you say that? Just experience? I have always loved these vintage pieces, and I am now trying to educate myself a bit. I appreciate the benefit of your knowledge.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

• dotz_gw
    12 years ago

I agree may be a florist piece, may have been sent to a new mom for twins...Very cute, no idea on price....

• empress
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry about the links. I just don't seem to be able to embed pictures here. I do my best to follow the instructions, but no luck. The pics you will see if you copy and paste those links will be small, unfortunately. However in the picture you get from the first link in this thread, you really can see that the chicks were created separately and attached. You can see the separation.