Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klfish_gw

Can anyone help me ID this dining room table?

klfish
10 years ago

Hi,

I bought this table and 6 chairs this weekend for $100! Can anyone help me identify it? Is it a Sheraton? I am not sure how I will refinish it. It needs some DIY.

Thanks,
Kelly

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

For $100! That's a deal!

Hard to ID without seeing the whole thing. Can you take better pics after you get it home?

Check under the table for dates and labels on hardware.

My gut reaction, based on nothing at all, is that it's a "Sheraton inspired" table from the 20th century ... The legs with the squared feet are very much a Sheraton detail.

Clean it carefully with mild soap and water, and rinse with clean water and dry it, then clean it again gently with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool. That will get the grime and o9ld waxes off so you can see what you really have.

Then you can make a decision what to do.

• klfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi - Here it is. I cleaned it and used Old English Scratch cover in Dark. I think it looks great now. Surely a new table such as this would be costly?

Thank you!

• calliope
    10 years ago

Just beautiful. Yes, you got a nice deal on that one and it gets another crack at life and to be appreciated. I don't think it's antique, either and it gets hard to place a date on 20th century furniture 'in the style' of classics but it is likely better made than the more modern renditions. Without details of the joinery, and the obvious styles of certain 20th century fads I wouldn't guess at age, either.

• Stocky
    10 years ago

You got a STEAL at $100 for everything . The top is Mahogany with crotch Mahogany on the aprons . There's also inlay on the legs .The legs , and base are solid Mahogany .
    The chairs are also solid Mahogany with inlay on the fronts of the legs . It looks like there's is a crotch Mahogany panel and or more inlay on the center of the shield on the chairs .

• klfish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your information calliope. I am going to the fabric store this weekend to get some nice modern upholstery for the chair pads. The chairs have an interesting medallion on the back, so also intrigue me.

Thanks again. -Kelly