Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybird

Ice Cream anyone??????

jaybird
16 years ago

On Saturday at a garage sale, we found a LARGE single handle, all nickel(maybe) Ice Cream Scoop (No plastic or wood on the handle, nor any evidence that any ever existed). It is a bit more oval than the ones made today, but it has a thumb push mechanism similar to today's models to release the ice cream. We are thinking that it may have been for commercial use. The markings on the bowl of the scoop are :

"Kingery Manufacturing Company

Victor

1908"

We found a group of Kingery scoops listed here and there, but not the Victor. Has anyone ever seen such an item???

Most sincere thanks in advance for any info!

Comments (11)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Why would you think it was made for commercial use? As far as I know most scoops were the same.
    Sorry I couldn't find any info on that model either.
    Linda C

• jaybird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Reasoning RE: commercial use is...the scoop has a long handle 15+ inches and the scoop itself is quite large with a longish oval bowl. I would think it may have been used in a food service line for mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. DH is more convinced that it was for ICE Cream :^)

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

Put this into your search box and an ebay listing will come up. Couldn't get the link to work.

Kingery victor ice cream scoop

• lindac
    16 years ago

Wow!!...The sale ended on Aug 30th at a bid of $178...and the reserve had not been met!
    I may be searching garage sales for ice cream scoops!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: The scoop

• jaybird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you again!!!!!!! DH is teasing me about my invisible friends again now!!!! I told him that someone here would be able to find it for us, and I was RIGHT!!! T2G, you are awesome!

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

Linda, glad you could link the item.

JB, what a delight to take a peek at--thank YOU for posting. Love old utensils like that.
    And the price, who knew?? ;-)

• jaybird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

T2G you need to visit me....I have TONS of old utensils....in fact I spotted the ice cream scoop for ME, but if we can get that kind of money for it.....buh-bye scoop!! :^) On a regular basis, I use old wooden handled kitchen utensils....red and white of course!!! Just last evening my DS and his boss were laughing at my vintage '20's whisk!! The boss had never seen such a thing...She immedieately agreed that it makes the BEST gravy!!

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

oh dear. I do have a weakness for the color red ;-)

• jaybird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOWOWOWOW........I need to find a few more ice cream scoops in garage sales!!!!!! DH ebayed the one we found, and it sold yesterday for $257!!!!! Heavenly days, I would have never guessed it would go for so much...just thought I would let you know how it all went! Thanks again T2G and Linda!

• lindac
    16 years ago

Congratulations!!!!
    I have found some amazing things at garage sales....but not sold them!
    But the clue is you have to have a good "eye" to spot what is old unusual and desirable.
    Obviously you have that eye!
    Linda C

• jdutronc
    16 years ago

I wonder if it makes the ice cream taste more wonderful. Since coming to the States, I have really fallen in love with ice cream...it's just not the same in France...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Cream Ala Fine Crystal