Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nitecapt

I need help identifying and valueing an antique mirror

nitecapt
12 years ago

This mirror has been in my parents house for over 80 years and has no identifying marks on it. There is brown paper on the back which started to come off so someone put blue masking tape around the perimeter. It looks to be hand carved and there are small 1"x1" mirrors around the perimeter some of which have fallen off. Can someone give me some idea of the dating and the value?

It's really an unusual piece.

Thank you for your input.

Ray

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Mirrors

Comments (7)

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

I have no idea as to age, but you won't get a decent price unless you replace the missing mirrors.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I think the decorations in the corners are probably carved plaster and gold leafed. It's really a fabulous mirror...
    Something about the style says Art Nouveau.....but something also says lots older....like early 18th century...
    Did your parents collect antiques? Were there things in their house from Europe?
    Value? Lots!!...8 to 10 thousand....even with the missing tiles.
    Any indications that the mirror itself has been replaced? That it's new glass?
    Linda C

• karinl
    12 years ago

Not to be like a bucket of cold water, but we got a mirror for a wedding gift 30 years ago that has those little mirror panels all the way around it. I realize you're working with more than that feature, Linda, but still...

Might be an idea to show us a picture of the back before making plans for that money!

Karin L

• calliope
    12 years ago

I also have my doubts about the complete authenticity of the item. The silvering on the large plate glass mirror is unusually intact compared to the small mirrors on the frame. You'd imagine the larger piece would be subject to the greatest risk of wear. It also seems very 'light' and bright compared to an older mirror. They often shot back a greyer or darker reflection. A look at the back of the mirror would tell you if it were dated before around 1840 (and I really doubt the piece is that old) because that is when mercury amalgams were discontinued. I had an old mercury backed mirror at one time, and pools of liquid mercury were actually formed under the paper guard. This part may be a replacement. If it is, it seriously impacts value. BTW if that is a plaster or compostive decoration, it is not carved, but moulded.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Plaster was and is carved for frames as well as other decorative items. And mercury was continued to be used backing mirrors as late as 1900 by some sources and as late as 1940 by others.
    I have a houseful (only a slight exaggeration!) of old mirrors, one I am fairly sure is mercury backed and the glass is pristine...gray but even. People had particularly fine old mirrors re-silvered, I know one my parents had done. Expensive in the 1950's prohibitive now.
    I have seen some of the amazing phantom mirrors in Venice. 400 year old mirrors in wonderful old gilt frames so faded that you can see the wire they are hanging from through the glass ...and prized like old wine.
    Not suggesting that this mirror is anything like that....but the quality and intricacy of that carving and gilt speaks for itself.

• calliope
    12 years ago

My guess is somewhere between 1890-1910, and it looks art nouveau because it is. The 'carving' looks so fine because it's really moulded gesso. The main mirror may or may not have been replaced. Check the depth of reflection. If it's original, the reflection should be deep and the piece rather heavy. I'm suspicious because of the degradation of the mirror tiles compared to the quality of the main pane. I've seen one similar mirror advertised, with the tiles in much better condition, and the owners were asking around $200.

I can see a French influence in it, but so did a lot of pieces from that era. You didn't give us a lot of information, and I very well could be way off base judging from just a picture, but the mirror tiles kept niggling at me because I have a picture frame from that era with the same decoration and I think it's a pretty close call.

• AbbotMiller
    12 years ago

In our showrooms we hold a large stock of antique dining room furniture, antique dining chairs, antique roll top desk.We provide all kinds of antique seating from a single antique roll top desk to many different styles of sets of chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique dining room furniture