Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Someone Tell Me About These Pictures

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 9:49

I've searched and can't seem to find anything. I'm thinking about selling them. but not sure of the value, if any.

Close-Up

Mark on back of both pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Someone Tell Me About These Pictures

They are department store decorator items....very little value.
Linda C

o

When were these framed medallions on velvet popular - 60's, 70's?

If tweens are still going for white French Provincial bedroom furniture - though the artwork is a bit amatuerish - these would do for boudoire decor. You could probably price them at $15 for the pair but be willing to take less.

o

I figured as much! lol Just wanted to make sure and knew I'd get an honest answer here!! Thanks!!

o

That company has been in business 70 years in Bronx, NY. Here is the Andrew Kolb & Son company profile.

And their web site contact information page.

And just to throw you off a bit, a review of a gallery on S Park Ave in NYC of the same name, with a phone number.

There is all kinds of contact info, including an email address at the web site. Curiosity always kills me, even if it's not a museum quality piece. Maybe you can find out more about them?

o

Did they make the frames to fit the porcelain/faux ormolu things or vice versa? Like they had fan frames and no fans that fit and stuck those "things" into them. If I had a collection of fancy hat pins, I'd demount the "things" and use the velvet as the pincushion.
So what are the "things" anyway? They are supposed to be 18th c. French miniature scenes enamel on porcelain, but what's with the gilt metal frame w/handle? Sommelier cups gone to Vegas?

Casey

o

They tiny portraits look like very late Victorian miniature enamels on porcelain-popular and pretty, and well suited to Victorian 'over the top' fashions. They are not 18th c and I doubt they are French, they look German but don't quote me on that. The ormolu looks of the period, the mounting on the velvet surrounds is of course later but suited to the taste of the period. I'd think you could get more than 15$ for the pair, since late Victorian stuff seems to maintain popularity.

o

They are wanna-bes. Late Victorian miniatures look quite different and the "ormolu" looks very like pot metal.
If they were really late Victorian, they wouldn't have been a pair, there would have been just one as a pin or a pendant.

o

A quick Google search finds this website saying 'Since 1940, the Andrew Kolb & Son gallery has been featuring high quality art at affordable prices to the wholesale furniture and design market.'

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Andrew Kolb and Sons

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here