Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_bumpkin_al

Can Someone Tell Me About These Pictures

country_bumpkin_al
12 years ago

I've searched and can't seem to find anything. I'm thinking about selling them. but not sure of the value, if any.

{{gwi:1390375}}

Close-Up

{{gwi:1390376}}

Mark on back of both pictures.

{{gwi:1390377}}

Comments (11)

• lindac
    12 years ago

They are department store decorator items....very little value.
    Linda C

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

When were these framed medallions on velvet popular - 60's, 70's?

If tweens are still going for white French Provincial bedroom furniture - though the artwork is a bit amatuerish - these would do for boudoire decor. You could probably price them at $15 for the pair but be willing to take less.

• country_bumpkin_al
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I figured as much! lol Just wanted to make sure and knew I'd get an honest answer here!! Thanks!!

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

That company has been in business 70 years in Bronx, NY. Here is the Andrew Kolb & Son company profile.

And their web site contact information page.

And just to throw you off a bit, a review of a gallery on S Park Ave in NYC of the same name, with a phone number.

There is all kinds of contact info, including an email address at the web site. Curiosity always kills me, even if it's not a museum quality piece. Maybe you can find out more about them?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Did they make the frames to fit the porcelain/faux ormolu things or vice versa? Like they had fan frames and no fans that fit and stuck those "things" into them. If I had a collection of fancy hat pins, I'd demount the "things" and use the velvet as the pincushion.
    So what are the "things" anyway? They are supposed to be 18th c. French miniature scenes enamel on porcelain, but what's with the gilt metal frame w/handle? Sommelier cups gone to Vegas?

Casey

• harebelle
    12 years ago

They tiny portraits look like very late Victorian miniature enamels on porcelain-popular and pretty, and well suited to Victorian 'over the top' fashions. They are not 18th c and I doubt they are French, they look German but don't quote me on that. The ormolu looks of the period, the mounting on the velvet surrounds is of course later but suited to the taste of the period. I'd think you could get more than 15$ for the pair, since late Victorian stuff seems to maintain popularity.

• lindac
    12 years ago

They are wanna-bes. Late Victorian miniatures look quite different and the "ormolu" looks very like pot metal.
    If they were really late Victorian, they wouldn't have been a pair, there would have been just one as a pin or a pendant.

• jilliferd
    12 years ago

A quick Google search finds this website saying 'Since 1940, the Andrew Kolb & Son gallery has been featuring high quality art at affordable prices to the wholesale furniture and design market.'

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Andrew Kolb and Sons

• Jesus de la Cruz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Can seone te me the value of this work of art from andrew kolb and son ltd?it has a 4080 number at the back.and a ”SORINO” signature

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Jesus de la Cruz if you are serious start a new thread and post the picture. Posting to a 2011 thread is generally a start of spamming.

• HU-281162601
    3 years ago

Andrew Kolb&Sons does not exist anymore. The store, according to an auction house Invaluable.com, has been closed for years. The .com is being used by an artist to link to his site.

I found out because I was researching an old print that has the Kolb gallery's printed card attached to the back.