Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenldee_gw

I'd love to know more about my dining room set.....

karenldee
13 years ago

Can anyone give me more information on this set? I purchased it at an estate auction a couple of years ago. Both sides of the table have leaves that slide out and the center drops. Very bulbous table legs. Made of oak. Both table and chairs are heavily carved. I'd love to know the sets age and possibly what it may be worth. Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Comments (9)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Jacobean revival......probably 1920's....perhaps earlier. Looks like it could be from England as I have seen a lot of "cartons" of European antiques with things like that....barley twist turnings on the chairs....which likely were not originally a set with the table.
    Very Very nice....

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

That style started in the 1830s, in Architecture as "Gothic revival" and had its last gasp in the 1920s in Sears Catalogs under the name of "Baronial". It went with the Tudor cottages and desire to emulate the rich who were bringing back entire castles or the innards of them.

That is more elaborately carved than most of the Jacobean revival stuff I have seen. the cheap versions went in for turned, but not carved, legs and scroll-cut ornamentations.

I like the way the seats of the chairs echo the wall, too. it's subtle but elegant. They almost look like Spanish Colonial revival.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacobethan era

• Stocky
    13 years ago

It's hard to tell from the pix, but if the leaves are tucked away under the table and then pull out to be extended , the table is know as a Refrectory Table .

• lindac
    13 years ago

A refrectory table is a table that was used in a "refrectory"...a dining hall, as in a monastary. The term has nothing to do with the leaves but refers to a very long narrow table.

Here is a link that might be useful: refrectory table

• Stocky
    13 years ago

Linda , you know what I think about your opinion .

• lindac
    13 years ago

Not opinion....fact.

Here is a link that might be useful: more refrectory table

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

It's spelled "refectory" FWIW.
    For it's genre, it's probably as high-quality a set as you're ever likely to see.
    I really like the way they incorporated an ionic capital volute into the leg design.
    Casey

• Stocky
    13 years ago

Linda let me rephrase my previous statement .
    It's fact that you know what I think of your opinion.

Casey - ya know when I looked back I realized I had typed Refrectory and not Refectory .

• lindac
    13 years ago

I am chagrined that I followed "Stocky's" spelling without checking.
    But the issue is not how it's spelled... that is important... but that a refectory table is not defined by the kind of leaf it has but by the shape and size of the table and configuration of the legs.