Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help date this box and id the wood

Posted by frescafizz (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 9:32

I'd appreciate some help with this box. This box was my grandmother who said her grandfather (or great gf?) made it using logs he found and floated down the Monongahela river.

I have included photos of the oldest looking nails as well as the "newer" looking nails. There have been repairs made, including the addition of many nails and varnish, but the original wood and nails are there. Any idea what sort of wood this is and when it may have been made? The front lock and side handles were recent additions to make it easier to use- the original had no hardware to my knowledge. The box is lighter than expected based on size. Don't know enough about saw marks to comment. I'm trying to figure out an approx date in the hope of figuring out which ancestor made it.

Here are photos of the oldest nails plus newers nail used to make repairs, the entire box, the inside of the box, and a side view showing the general construction. I have more photos if needed.

What can you tell me about this box (other than some may find it extremely ugly, lol)? Thanks for taking a look. Liz

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help date this box and id the wood

Looks like a mix of pine and oak....with hand wrought nails...which buts it before about 1850.

o
RE: Please help date this box and id the wood

Thank you!! The pre-1850 date helps me pinpoint the grandfather who made it. I guess there is the possibility it was made after 1850 using old nails but the odds of that are probably very slim.

Thanks again,
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here