Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Oil Painting

Posted by nyboy (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 8:29

I just picked up my first oil painting I won on ebay. I got into a bidding war and paid double my limit. It is a Hudson river valley paintng by Hal Robinson. When I picked up the painting yesterday the seller said he knew nothing about art. I paid what for me was a large amount of money. Where do I go to make sure painting is a authentic Hal robinson? I live outside of NYC and can easly take the painting somewhere in the city.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Oil Painting

My first thought is call a major museum and ask them where to take it for authentication. Then I googled!
there is a gallery called Questroyal Fine Art with branches on 5th ave and in Brooklyn that deals in 19th century and early 20th century American artists. I also found that Hal Robinson did a lot of his work in Old Lyme Ct. So it seems that a dealer or museum in Old Lyme might be able to give you the info you want.
Congratulations....the bug has bitten! Linda C

o
RE: My First Oil Painting

I checked him out on Askart.com. He wasn't a Hudson River school painter, although your painting could be of the Hudson River Valley. As Linda said, he was associated with Old Lyme, and he worked primarily in the early 20th century. For $13.50, you can get 24-hour access to Askart, which is a database of artist info and auction records. It shows images and auction sale price for many Hal Robinson paintings, so you could see if yours resembles those. It also shows a sample of his signature. Your local public library may also have a reference book that shows artist signatures, and they may have access to auction records.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here