Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keenbean_gw

Help identifying ladder-back chairs :D

Keenbean
9 years ago

I'm trying to find out when my ladder-back chairs were made and precisely what wood they're made from. They were bought by my grandparents in northwest England the 1960s, and were 2nd hand, but I know nothing beyond that. Are they repro or older; are they the Lancashire type? I can't seem to match them to other images on the web.

There have only ever been 5 standards and 1 carver in this set while our family has had them; we have never owned a second carver or sixth standard. Would there have been more chairs originally?

The seats were rushed with real rush (complete with the seed heads, and each one was twisted to the next rather than knotted or tacked to the frame). I have now cut away the rushes to get them replaced (they were in a really bad state and smelled disgusting!).

The seat rails enter sockets at the tops of the legs of the standards, and they are held in place with round-headed nails/tacks, which in most cases are perfectly flush with the surface of the leg.

There are no tacks in the carver (that I can see).

My parents have always told me these chairs were oak, but they're not very heavy. I've read that these ladder-backs were often made of ash or elm.

All of the other socket joints appear to have been glued.

I've posted photos on Keenbean09's Flickr photostream. https://www.flickr.com/photos/34544861@N04/sets/72157647565635890/

Any ideas??
TIA!

Comment (1)