Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

What is your favorite pattern if you collect a china set?

gardenbug
10 years ago

I want to collect a nice set of antique dishes but not so rare that it's hard to find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe if you've collected a set could you show a pic with the name here? I think it would be fun to see what patterns you all have.

Comments (8)

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

Mine is Old English Roses and it is made by Royal Albert . I do not have a picture to post but I suggest you google their site and find the pattern site and you will see all the different ones they have made over the years and what year they were produced. Their china is wonderful and I have had mine for years, and it will be passed down in the family.It is a great remembrance of all the wonderful birthday, thanksgiving, and Christmas times together.

• calliope
    10 years ago

My personal set that my parents gave me when I was sixteen is Winterling Bavarian. We lived in Europe then, and I found out after the fact that it is a pattern one seldom sees exported to America. One teacup did not make the trip intact in the household goods brought back by ship, and my Mama carried around the names of replacement companies for years with no results. Thanks to the miracle of the internet, I did manage to find a replacement from a private party along with a couple of spare pieces. It has no pattern name, only a set of numbers and would be a dogwood design with gold embellishment. I suspect it was not a very widely produced pattern and to the best of my knowledge mid sixties would have been a good guess as to when production on it stopped.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teddybear, I love Old English Roses, such a pretty pattern. That one is quite popular and not too difficult to find. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

calliope, I loved your story and that you still have your mother's treasured china. I am so happy to hear you were able to find your pieces. Yes, the internet can be very helpful. I love being able to google different patterns. I would love to hear from others who have collected various patterns, any other interesting stories? I think this could be a really fun thread..

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

I have a thing for Johnson Brothers, especially their pink and multicolor patterns. My good everyday pattern is Old British Castles in pink, but I also collect Castle on the Lake and English Chippendale (both pink) as well as Devonshire and Dorchester, I mix and match them rather randomly!

Old British Castles:

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I love old Haviland Limoges patterns from the 1800s.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chibimimi - You're plate is lovely. Is it actually pink or would you say red? I think this set would look really nice matched with white dinnerware at Christmas time.

sheilajoyce - I love limoges. So dainty.

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Glad you like Old Brit Pink. It's a deep pink, or soft red. Could go either way! This pattern is still being manufactured (or at least was a few years ago) and the etchings of the castles are from 1792. Each piece in the place setting has a different castle on it, as do all the accessory pieces.

Oh, and the name is actually Old Britain Castles. It is stoneware, not china, which means you can relax if there are kids at the table.

• nyboy
    10 years ago

A good friend gave me a set of diner plates by spode in the greek pattern for my birthday one year.. I love them so much I started collecting the pattern. Just wish they where cheaper to collect. I have gotten into some bidding wars on ebay, a lot of other people love this pattern.