Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help me identify this chair

Posted by kaaj10250623 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 1:43

Hi, Please help me identify this chair. I know my mother bought it at an auction in Ontario, Canada during the 1960's. She always called it the prayer chair because she said that you knelt on the seat and put your hands through the holes to pray, but I am thinking that she made that up as it certainly does not look like any of the prayer chairs I have seen on the internet. It has absolutely no identifying markings, stamps or labels.

Any tips, leads or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery chair photo share

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help me identify this chair

Period: Arts & Crafts era, 1906-1925.
Form: hall chair; uncomfortable chairs with tall backs, usually very stylized. Placed in the entry hall of a house in pairs flanking either a doorway, a pier mirror of other piece of furniture. used for decor not for sitting.
The outline of the back looks like an owl, which was a very popular motif for A&C designers.
Casey

o

I have a feeling your mom had a unique sense of humor. :)

o

WEll, it's not ARTS & CRAFTS because the quality is not there as you can see from the misaligned tiger grain.
My quess is that it's whimsical piece, but very unique.

o

Arts and Crafts describes a style and a period when that style was popular....not a standard of quality.
Yes, whimsical....and the very most uniquest I have seen in a while.

o

BAD Linda....BAD, lol

o

Hanging my head not in shame but at the repetitive redundance of your reiteration.

o

"Repetitive redundance" hadn't thought of that in years! You are in rare form today, Missy.

o

I agree, agree, agree, agree.

o

Looks like you could hang a suit jacket on the back ... I think it's a bedroom chair for a man.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here