Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Any way to fix dents in paper of an etching?

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

I found a *most gorgeous* *large* (the image is 24.5x31) hand-colored etching at Goodwill today, by Dan Mitra. WOW. I can't find a pic of it online but it's called "Mallards" and the detail is astounding. I've found some online that are similar - e.g. there's one called "wood ducks" on eBay right now, I think. The birds are even in the same position relative to each other, just on a horizontal orientation rather than vertical. It really should be seen to be appreciated, though -- the eBay pics don't do justice to it in any way.

The only problem is that there are a few dents -- thankfully not on the image, but outside, beyond even where the signature is. Where it would show unless it's matted. No breakage of the paper, but you can see a couple of places where the dear Goodwill folks manhandled it as they wrapped it up with a print to make it a good deal LOLOL...

How do I fix those dents? Is there any way? Re-wet the paper? I really want to know if there's any way to do it. I won't do anything until I'm positive it will work, so don't worry.

Thanks for any leads! I can find information on repairing oil paintings and adding paper to rips to fix them, but not on repairing dents.

Comments (4)