Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to fix dents in paper of an etching?

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 1:34

I found a *most gorgeous* *large* (the image is 24.5x31) hand-colored etching at Goodwill today, by Dan Mitra. WOW. I can't find a pic of it online but it's called "Mallards" and the detail is astounding. I've found some online that are similar - e.g. there's one called "wood ducks" on eBay right now, I think. The birds are even in the same position relative to each other, just on a horizontal orientation rather than vertical. It really should be seen to be appreciated, though -- the eBay pics don't do justice to it in any way.

The only problem is that there are a few dents -- thankfully not on the image, but outside, beyond even where the signature is. Where it would show unless it's matted. No breakage of the paper, but you can see a couple of places where the dear Goodwill folks manhandled it as they wrapped it up with a print to make it a good deal LOLOL...

How do I fix those dents? Is there any way? Re-wet the paper? I really want to know if there's any way to do it. I won't do anything until I'm positive it will work, so don't worry.

Thanks for any leads! I can find information on repairing oil paintings and adding paper to rips to fix them, but not on repairing dents.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to fix dents in paper of an etching?

It's very common and desirable to mat a print up to the mat line....well actually about 1/2 an inch from that line.
Rather than take a chance of nessing up the water coloring...I would mat the print.
But I might gently try a steam iron on the wrong side....I might!
I think I need to go to your thrift stores!!
Linda C

o

Ah, what a good idea -- a steam iron. There are a couple of dents far out toward the edge that I might try that on first. Nowhere near the image.

I am always amazed at what I find at my local Goodwills, linda. I'm getting pickier, though. Running out of space!

o

I meant mat it to the plate line....not the mat line....

o

I figured, linda, don't worry :) thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here