Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

1847 rogers bros silveware-- pattern/year?!?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

I have recently acquired a set of "1847 Rogers Bros" silver plated flatware, though perhaps I should say "formerly" silver-plated since most of the silver has worn off.
I would like to know what year it was actually produced.

I am aware that just because 1847 is in the stamp does not mean that it was made in 1847. Many companies from centuries/decades past continue to stamp their products with the founding year of the company. On the other hand, I have also found numerous sites saying that in 1898 Rogers Bros joined the "International Silver" consortium and afterwards began stamping their products "1847 Rogers Bros IS" to reflect that affiliation.

Since mine lacks the "IS" that would seem to mean that it pre-dates 1847. (Again, I can cite sources to attest to this). Thus, ne would THINK it would not be difficult to find a matching pattern and and a subsequent date that this was produced, since I only have a window of 51 years to explore, right?

Wrong.

I have looked through hundreds of patterns and on every "1847 Rogers Bros" search that I can, and have come up empty on pattern and date -- which often go together, as many sites will list the pattern and the year it was produced.

I would be thrilled to know the pattern and the year my silverware was produced. HELP!

This post was edited by BradleyD on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 1:24

Comments (8)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not allowed to post entire albums here, so here is another photo of forks accompanied by the knives they came with. On each knife is inscribed "1847 Rogers Bros Warranted 12 DWT."

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up of stamp on the knives

This post was edited by BradleyD on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 0:37

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Here's more information on Rogers 1847 silver plate ware. the mark, 1847, was used over many years. The better age indicator is the pattern. The Roger's firm and many others were merged together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roger's silver plate company history

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for chiming in. I did not find a precise match but a link, from a link, from your link (not joking) led me to search "1847 Rogers Bros plain" -- the word "plain" bringing me a bit closer. Thanks again.

• los348
    9 years ago

I have many, many pieces of silver-plate and think I have that pattern also. There is a wonderful soft cover book that has patterns in it, and I have found the best thing is to forget the maker and just go through the book, page by page matching the pattern(s) up. I will say that I doubt your pattern is before 1847

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I have looked up a few patterns without using "Rogers Bros" in the searches, but only a few. I will redouble those efforts. I don't think mine is "before 1847" either, but I do lean toward pre-1898, when the merger with International Silver occurred, if only because it seems Rogers Bros changed their stamps after that.

• voila
    9 years ago

If you do a search using the words 1847 Rogers Bros Warranted 12 DWT, you will find more information. There are many listings on eBay. I never found the pattern name.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a lot! I did those searches and there are differing estimates on the age of the knives, but the majority leans toward late 1800s, with only a few saying "1900-1940." The forks are another story. There is little info on them. But as I said earlier, there ought to be something after "Bros" on the stamp if they date after 1898, so I think mine are among the company's early works. I am not even interested in their market value. I just like the fact that I am eating with something pre-20th century. YES, I use them: one fork, one knife. LOL