Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

A couple more 'What's it worth?' questions

alisande
13 years ago

This lamp was my mother-in-law's, and everything Mom had was "the best"--or at least she thought so. I was planning to get it rewired and find a nice shade, but it really doesn't go with my house. So I'm thinking of selling it, but have no idea what would be a good price. The base is 17" tall. It had been in the family for quite some time before we acquired it in 1965.

And then there's this amethyst glass vase. I don't know who we inherited it from, but I can't say it appeals to me very much. Do you think it has any value? I forgot to measure it, but I think it's a couple of inches shorter than the lamp base. The lip of the vase has a slight depression that I've tried (not very successfully) to photograph.

Thank you!

Susan

Comments (5)

• lindac
    13 years ago

The lamp is terrific...likely chinese about 1930 ish. needs that brass polished....take another look at that one and try to visualize different shades. Won't being what it's worth because it needs cleaning so badly.
    The bottle? meh? Nice...appeare to be a blown glass bottle....good for weeds or a dried arrangement of grasses.
    Linda C

• calliope
    13 years ago

Agree thirties on lamp. Seen more than a few domestic items with Chinese motif from late twenties to early thirties, so it may or may not have been imported.

• karinl
    13 years ago

You know, when you just have no clue, and the difference between what you might price it at and what it could go for might have three digits (I could see this lamp go for 50 or 150), I'd consider consignment. You lose nothing by asking a fairly good consignment store if they would take it and if so, at what price. If they say no, you're already more informed!

The alternative is to post it with a high price and see what happens.

I really like the bottle, by the way, and that would be the kind of thing that you'd likely not get much action on on craigslist because it might not excite people enough to travel for it, even if you list it for $10, which I would happily pay. But if they saw it in a store, they might pay $25 and you'd get half. And I'd happily pay 25 for it too.

KarinL

• calliope
    13 years ago

Yes........even though you sometimes cough up a fairly large commission for consigning things, if you take it to a reputable shop, you can be sure they are not going to underprice it unless they are clueless too.

• texasredhead
    13 years ago

There have been various times when "oriental" motif items were produced for export in China and Japan. Even been manufacturers in England who have produced what they think Chinese/Japanese items looked like. Think that is likely what you have.

My wife's aunt and uncle were Presbyterian missionaries in China pre-Mao.
    They brought back sone authentic item, a few of which were passed to my wife.

Tex