Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying china cabinet

Posted by viqueantique (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 23:30

please help! i inherited this from my grandmother. it is very large, measuring about 76" across and with four glass cabinet doors in the top portion.
i don't know when it was made but i think it may be broyhill because there is other furniture in the apartment which is broyhill. i haven't found a label or other identifying feature on it. i would love to learn more about who manufactured it, its age, and its value. thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying china cabinet

Have you checked the drawers to see if a name is stenciled somewhere on them?

o

Have you checked the drawers to see if a name is stenciled somewhere on them?

o

Great suggestion - it is made by Bassett. I can't seem to find a similar one online. I searched for "Bassett china cabinet" or "Bassett breakfront". What is the market for something like this? How can I find out its value?

o

Its value is that of used furniture: what someone is willing to pay in your location. In my location it might be a couple hundred dollars tops, because other vintage styles are more popular.

It may be the picture but the top and chest finishes appear to be slightly different. They look like they are a pair but possibly put together at different times? The lower half is much shinier.

o

I agree, Pal. Also the design on the columns between the doors and drawersais different. I susect it's a married set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here