Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Stained Glass, will it devalue to paint frame?

Posted by mellyc123 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 22:53

I am considering sanding and painting the frame of an antique stained glass piece such as the link below ( okay, maybe its vintage it does not say the year).

Will this lower the value of the piece?

http://www.othersideantiques.com/Mackintosh-Bouquet-of-Roses-with-Blue-Border-Antique-Stained-Glass-pr-19199.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Stained Glass, will it devalue to paint frame?

If you do it well.....and don't compromise the glass....I don't think so.

o

I'm not sure - but the framing looks to be original showing that the window was removed intact from a building with aged paint, giving some authenticity to antiquity. With a spiffed up paint job, it won't look any different from stained glass that was made yesterday.

It's a beautiful piece no matter what you decide.

o

I had a reason to see to the repair of one panel of a large stained glass window in our church. New glass looks different from old glass. Amazingly there were some sheets of the original glass in the attic in the color of the largest broken area and the man who did the repair had some old glass in almost the same color as the brown that was broken.
Those windows have been re-camed, the inside frames restained and the outside frames repainted many times. I don't think it has lessened their value.
I think it depends if you are looking at the art value of the stained glass....or the decorative value of the stained glass in the frame.

o

Thanks so much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here