Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
11th edition encyclopedia britanica?

Posted by ms01634 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 22:33

I have a complete set of 11th edition (1929) encyclopedia britanicas. The only thing I know is that the 10th edition was many years earlier and a badly needed update was manufactured through sears & roebuck in 1929. These are as perfect as they come. Just age discoloration. they were on shelves their entire life. Any ideas on the value??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 11th edition encyclopedia britanica?

I think if you can find a buyer, you will be lucky.
Old encylopedia have almost no value.

o

The 11th edition is the one collectible edition, if it has the calf leather, BUT, like Linda said, it's very difficult to sell. Having said that, I buy them cheap if they still have the original wood bookcase, because they sell really well as magazine stands.

o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica#11th_edition

That one and the 9-10th edition are superb pre-WWI reference sources for writers and scientists, but not extremely valuable.

If it's a 1929 Sears printing, it's perhaps the 14th edition, still a good reference for early modern things.

The trick is advertising it as a reference source for WRITERS ... I've sold several ratty sets of encyclopedias bu focusing on their status as "state of the art" for people who write about history and write historical fiction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here